Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Well now that the year is offically over ive started the gearing up process for next year :rolleyes:

Anyway,
I have a 14 foot Lowe flatbottom. Riveted. Its about 36 In wide at the bottom.

I have run this boat in bays and some chop, always held up fine. I hunt a lot of shallow water creeks, and such were a Longtail motor would be perfection. The boat is pretty stable, but my outboard is only about 100 pounds including tank, so obvioslly there is a large increase with the mud motor.

I have looked at all kinds of motors, examined them.

Question is, would a 20HP go devil, with a vangaurd be to heavy?? What weight/HP do you guys reccomend on my size boat.

I am considering putting Pods on the back of the boat, i figure this would hlep with Stability and weight? whats your thoughts???

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks, shane

·
Registered
782 Posts
DE DUCKER said:
Hey guys.

I have a 14 foot Lowe flatbottom. Riveted. Its about 36 In wide at the bottom.

Question is, would a 20HP go devil, with a vangaurd be to heavy?? What weight/HP do you guys reccomend on my size boat.

Thanks, shane
the owner of Go-Devil Boats/Motors, Warren Coco, recommended a 16hp longtail for a friend of mine who has a 15x42 War eagle. i would go 16 hp.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i have a 13 hp honda long tail on the same boat that seems to push me anywhere i need to go. i don't think i'd get much above the high teens in HP or you might get a little on the squirrelly side for such a narrow boat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys guys.

Yea, i lookeda t the 16, and if i cant find a wider boat before next season then im going to go with that.

one thing i have been tossing around and checking about is the Bog Hog motors.

They seem relativly cheaper then other companys and all the bog's seem to be much lighter.

Has anyone used these baby's???

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would get a 13 hp Fisher Beavertail. Its got a Honda motor on it and its $1,995. But they also make an all aluminum model called Super Lite Series and the 13 hp Honda in that model is $2,195 and the the Super Lite Series do not spin 360 degrees into the boat. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at the beavertails for a while. I have a buddy who has one in 13HP on almost hte exact boat i have, he said it gets him were he has got to go, but just lags some power.

I also looked at scavengers, only thing that worried me was what is the frame made out of? everything has a compromise, i was just wondering if lighter=weaker.

I have been giving some serios thought to putting pods on the back of my boat, the ones beavertail makes. how much do you guys think this would help?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Acoording to Fisher Beavertails DVD they make a heck of a difference. They help float the back of the boat and allow you to run in shallower water.

If I was getting a longtail i would get the pods. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have the beavertail 13hp very good and reliable motor so far. gets me where I need. I wouldn't go too much higher hp on a 14x36, esp if you have a wood transom. you might rip your transom putting torque on it trying to get out of the really soupy stuff.

Me 80#dog, buddy itll run 10.8 - 11 mph and it gets very unsteady behind wakes :sad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.