Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a 16 ga. side by side to shoot most of my ducks. I get them mostly by jump-shooting and the range is usually under 25 yards. The load I use is the Bismuth No Tox factory load of 1 1/8 oz. of #4's. My gun has fixed chokes of IC/Mod but still I like to shoot skeet with it. Can anyone recommend a lighter 16 ga. reload, say 1 oz. or 7/8 oz. of 9's? What components do you use? Thanks---

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, duckboy. I'm using the black Remington Game Load hulls and the SP16 wad (only one I can find) and Win 209 primers with PB powder but I have access to several other powders. The hulls and wads are really my limiting factors; it is just hard to find a variety of 16 ga. components here.. I would very much like to find a light 7/8 oz. or 1 oz. 16 ga. load to use for skeet. Thanks again for any help you might give me.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I reload myself, and I can tell you from experience that you may have problems reloading those perticular shells. The reason is the Base wad in those shells are typically deeper than a shell made for reloading. The example I can give you is Winchester makes a cheap trap load called X-pert, and once shot, they shouldn't be reloaded. You can reload a Winchester AA up to ten times, but try to reload an X-pert and you'll get bulging and twisting on the plastic of the hull, because the shell is inferior due to the cheap plastic, and the deep base wad. one other thing, is you can't find a recipe that will work, because the base wad is so deep that your crimp on the shell is deep therefore shot will fall out of the shell. At least the recipe I use for my AA's won't work on those X-pert hulls. With the Base wad so deep, the powder sits deeper, and the shot wad sits deeper, therefore the shot sits deeper, and the crimp is loose and concave. Hope this helps a little, a little off the subject but should be useful information none the less. PULL! :smile: Also be careful to use the correct wad for the correct amount of shot. As you probably already know, (and admit that this is one of your limiting factors) there are wads made strictly for the correct amount of shot. So please use a proven recipe or it can mean disaster to your livelihood! Wings cupped, Pete

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wolf: Here are the only two recipes I found that match your wad and hull limitations.

Remington Hulls(plastic base wad, green):

1 oz. lead shot
Powd.-700X[14.5 grns]
Win 209 prim.
SP16 wad + 1 28ga .125" card under shot
1144 fps, 10,5000 LUP

1 oz. lead shot
Powd.-PB[19.5 grns]
Win 209 prim.
SP16 wad + 1 28ga .125" card under shot
1221 fps, 9,400 LUP

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Duckboy,
I have posted in the past looking for a recipe for loading Winchester 12 gauge AA's in the 2 and 3/4 inch size. I was wondering if you have a recipe for loading steel No. 2's or 4's in the 1 and 1/4 oz. load. I would use a 209 primer, but would like to know what powder and how many grains (if you knew what size bushing for a mec, that would be super) and what wad to use. I currently use 700x for my trap loads. If you can't find a 1 and 1/4 oz. load could you post a 1 and 1/8 oz. load. I can't find the larger load anywhere, but you can buy some factory loads 2 and 3/4 inch in the 1 and 1/4 oz. load in steel made by remmington. I know that there may be some safety issues when loading a low brass so heavy, but thought you may know of a recipe. Oh, the reason for 2 and 3/4 inch is that my Beretta AL2 is chambered 2 and 3/4 and it is my favorite gun, kind of an extension of my arm if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance. Wings cupped, Pete

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pete

I couldn't find anything for steel with the AA hulls, there was only a couple recipies for fed. hulls and they were .75 oz.

Oh wait, are you looking for 12ga loads, if so, post a new thread and I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have reloaded many shells with PB recipe posted by duckboy for my 16ga Rem 1100. It is over 30yrs old, the first gun I ever owned, got it for Christmas. Still use it for dove and quail and that load is awesome. I usually load 7 1/2's. It is clean and reliable.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.