Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my choc lab is 11 months old... This will be his 1st time hunting duck, november 2. What are some of the steps I will have to take on the pond to start his training... INFO... He will retreive anything from any water type of condition, and also brings it back promtly. He has never been around a gun before also. Thanks for your time.. Dans deisel dog.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my opinion probably the worst thing you could do if your dog hasen't been around a gun is take him hunting. It may not be gun shy but you should try to introduce it gradually. If you want a good duck dog don't try to rush it I know it' s hard not to want to take him, but there are way too many things to ruin a good dog by introducing him to quickly. Is he used to feathers alot of dogs will retrieve the training dummies but take them some trying with the feathers in their mouth. Also gun shy if you get into alot of shooting and with an untrained dog you are going to try to control him so he's not flaring ducks, you are probably not going to shoot alot of birds because you are so focused on the dog which results in alot of noise and not alot of retrieving. Crippled birds I sent a eleven one year old cheasapeake after a canada goose that I thought was dead and wasn"t, it was two seasons before I could get her back near a goose and she had already retieved close to a hundred ducks before that crippled goose but ducks won't turn on a dog like a goose.I had a five month old dog one year at the start of the season she wasn't steady to the gun shot and would have a little trouble with crippled birds ( I use pigeons with wings clipped to get a young dog used to a live bird in it's mouth).So I waited till the next season she had one more year of training. I recieved so many compliments on her she gave me chills just watching her work.It to me is truley a pleasure to hunt with a well trained retriever and not have to fuss over him sitting still.Maybe try joining a retrieving club there are alot of people there to help you I think HRC ( Hunting Retriever Club ) has a web site with clubs in areas

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
dans diesel dog-

I would also suggest not taking the dog hunting if they have never been around a gun. Get your dog around a gun, shoot over her and throw bumpers into the water. Don't start off with a shotgun, try a capper first, then move to a 22, then move to a lightload shotgun. the worst thing you can do is take a dog hunting when they are not ready.

Get him used to a gun, then take him hunting (by yourself). Keep the dog on a lead at all times, on your hip. It will take the dog a while to understand that while hunting they have to stay on your hip, and not move until you release them for a bird. This said, when you get the dog out there, make sure he can see the birds, it is tough for young dogs to make blind retrieves. You want him right on your hip, eye level with you so he can see what is going on....

Best of luck, if you want any help pm me and I will give ya my number.

Mike

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I will third what they said about not taking your dog out hunting if it has not been around gunfire. You could very easily make that dog gunshy with just one shot. Take the time and go out to properly introduce him to the sound of a gun. Start off with a .22 or cap pistol and then move closer to him. If he doesn't shy away go to a shotgun.

When my dog was 10 weeks old I took her out to the river bottoms while my friends and I did some skeet shooting. I started off with her about 50 feet away and she wasn't affected. I slowly moved up closer and closer to her until she was right next to me. She could have cared less about the gun going off. She was too interested in chasing down empty hulls and pouncing on them.

yeller

·
Registered
672 Posts
i agree i wouldnt take the dog out till its used to shooting. i took my yellow lab out at 8 months old never been around a gun and he went and hid behind the tree about ten feet from me looking at me like what the hell is that thing in your hands! thankfully he got over it quickly by shooting pigeons with a 410 so he could see when i shot the gun something is going to be coming down and he will get sent out after that. i would start out with a 22 shorts fist work up from there. it will be worth the wait to see how good your dog will work instead of seeing how far he will run every time you shoot the gun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.