Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I curently got and awsome deal at wallmart on some Remington express and nitro STEEL #2 and #4 23/4 inch shells. I bought out wallmart walking away with about 25 boxes. I was wondering if these shells will have good power for ducks. In the past several years I've used Remingon 3" #2's. Will the shot size and the shorter shell make a big difference? Thanks in advance for any input...

Mallyard

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
It all depends of payload and Velocity.

Compare the 3" to the 2.75" and usually the payload is 1/8 oz less but velocity is the same. Which means a shorter effect pattern density range.

It still should be good to 40 yds though. The #4 shot is great on small ducks like teal and woodies. the 2s are good on bigger ducks like Mallards.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was what I was kinda going for..... Ya wanna here a neat story.. Ok last year I had run out of big duck loads, so I put in 3 2.75 inch 6's, my teal shells. They where the winchester super X's. Any way This huge mallard was circling our deeks just at about 45 yards.... I finally got mad and said... "well i'll just put all three up at him, one bb will reach up there and mabye hit him."
So I pulled up and the first shot rolled him and when he hit the water he was dead. I couldn't belive that that small of a load could kill a mallard dead and around 50 yards.... Thanks for the info...:)

Mallyard

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Frankly you got lucky....

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I use the same shell, and it is virtually the same shell as a 3" The number 1 plus to the shell is the ability to cycle flawlessly, and the weight is still one and one quarter ounce. If you shoot at decoying ducks, you'll have plenty of shell. I like to use NO.1's and 2's. It will knock a goose stone cold dead as well! Wings cupped, Pete

·
Registered
90 Posts
Before I got my new gun, all I could shoot was 2.75 loads. I must have killed over a thousand ducks with 2.75 #2's. If you shoot ducks in range you dont really need 3 inchers...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts