Duck Hunting Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1081 Posts

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
When is the estimated date of completion on your house? I'm curious to know if or how general contractors are changing their practices to manage the issue of giving a bid on a home, getting it under contract and then having material prices go through the roof. Obviously material costs fluctuate constantly and they take this into account to a certain degree..... I'd imagine plenty of contractors going 'belly-up' if they didn't somehow account for those drastic changes. Huge damn mess!
We are hoping for Memorial Day, but I'd say that is a 50/50 chance.

You are correct that it has been a mess of sorts. I have mitigated some of it by forking over money early to buy materials.

Not exactly as planned, but ultimately, I committed to buy all the rough lumber, interior doors and trim, windows and prefinished siding at one time from a smaller lumber yard IF he would keep it secured and on-hand, and then deliver it as needed for a small delivery charge. I was able to acquire all the rough lumber when the price had dropped. That was not skill, just dumb luck as it immediately went back up. And oddly, prefinished siding was more readily available than preprimed.

Same goes for HVAC, plumbing and electric (that should start in about a week or two). I locked people in on contracts and provided deposits to purchase materials. Some of the bids were just stupid. Normally, you expect everyone to be within a few percentage points, but with so many people out of the work force, some subs want to bend you over, so bids differed by over 50% in some cases.

Lastly, I rented a storage unit to hold ancillary things. Think appliances, lights, bath vanities, mirrors, standalone tub, fireplace, etc. I had to go far and wide online to get everything (homedepot, lowes, amazon, appliance connection and even craigslist).

Next up: Trusses start going on next week, and picking flooring and tile with my lovely bride. That is going to suck, but when we get to the finish line, it will be great.

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
Sounds like you've definitely made some good moves during a challenging time and gotten ahead of it on several things and clearly saved some money. Building a new house can certainly be stressful, but it can sure be a lot of fun for you and the little lady too. Best of luck, hope it all goes well for you.

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
Biggest challenge was actually the concrete. The lot is steep with limited access (no way to get a dump truck down below), so we had to do the concrete in four stages (each stage has two steps- footing then wall) and build our way up the slope, using the material from above for some of the fill. (1) Lower retaining, (2) Lower foundation, (3) Upper foundation and (4) Upper retaining.

Concrete guy told us he had only 25% of his crew as they were all choosing to stay home and collect unemployment from the state and DC (Let's Go Brandon). And honestly, I think the 25% who were willing to work were collecting the unemployment and doing the work as a cash gig. I've never felt like I was begging someone to allow me to pay him 80K before, and it took over four months. Ugh.

The steps to the dock will go between the walls at bottom. Ledger board is lower level deck. Upper retaining wall was not in yet, but you can see the wall I tied into by the porta john (company's name is Yesterday's Meals :poop:).
Road surface Composite material Rectangle Asphalt Bedrock

The pic below has the very expensive upper retaining wall. They are framing the lower level which will be unfinished to start given budget overuns. I can do that solo following next duck season.
Sky Water Wood Tree Natural landscape

And back to the thread, yes, I am paying a fuel surcharge on every freaking delivery, and trust me, there are a lot of concrete and aggregate deliveries. LET'S GO BRANDON, you creepy demented tool.

·
Administrator
43,190 Posts
Looks like a helluva nice place, Rat and one helluva project. Pretty location too. That should keep ya busy until next waterfowl season. What state are you in?
Yeah...he's gonna have to learn how to stick out his kansas-ass pinky when he drinks tee from the veranda there.

·
Administrator
43,190 Posts
In keeping with the theme of this threads' title -- I just stopped if for a fill-up: :mad::mad:
View attachment 476723
Last time this chit happened I hunted less and definitely spent less miles trying to secure private property. :oops: Now this will double the cost of a fishing jaunt outside of town. :mad: Fuggin' Democrats.

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
Last time this chit happened I hunted less and definitely spent less miles trying to secure private property. :oops: Now this will double the cost of a fishing jaunt outside of town. :mad: Fuggin' Democrats.
The situation we're in right now makes my blood boil. I can't even have a discussion about it without getting extremely frustrated. When this happened last, I recall heading out for a long weekend with the wife and kids and stopping at the gas station to fuel up the truck, 4 ATVs, and two 6-gallon gas cans and it was damn near 250 bucks. :mad::mad:

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
Looks like a helluva nice place, Rat and one helluva project. Pretty location too. That should keep ya busy until next waterfowl season. What state are you in?
Lake of the Ozarks in Central Missouri. About 2.5 hours from the KC area where I live. We actually downsized locally once my kiddos were out of the house and off the payroll, and rolled the difference into the build. The grand scheme is to have a place that keeps my three kids, their spouses and grandkids coming around. I think it is called manipulation.

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
Yeah...he's gonna have to learn how to stick out his kansas-ass pinky when he drinks tee from the veranda there.
No tee. When drinking with my pinkie out, I prefer a Flamin' Ratty. Organic fruit smoothie, sugar rim and a splash of rum... with a straw. It's delightful.

Reactions: HNTFSH

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
Cheapest local gas is now $3.49. It was $1.49 when Creepy Joe stole the election.:mad:

That is an increase of 134%, not 58% as the fake media spins it. It would have to drop 58% to return to the previous levels.

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
Cheapest local gas is now $3.49. It was $1.49 when Creepy Joe stole the election.:mad:

That is an increase of 134%, not 58% as the fake media spins it. It would have to drop 58% to return to the previous levels.
One week later, it is $3.69. Up 148% since the election was stolen. :mad:

1021 - 1040 of 1081 Posts