Duck Hunting Forum banner

$2.679 here...how high will it go?

65K views 1K replies 118 participants last post by  OGblackcloud 
#1 ·
I'm hearing in the $2.50 range.

#5 ·
jcz said:
Election day is just a couple days away. I don't expect it to go much lower.
World markets dictate the gas price. Fortunately, this is one thing that American politics can't manipulate. The Saudi's are driving the price down intentionally.

#8 ·
Indaswamp said:
jcz said:
World markets dictate the gas price. Fortunately, this is one thing that American politics can't manipulate. The Saudi's are driving the price down intentionally.
I understand what you are saying but it's mighty convenient that each election year the prices go down in Oct and then back up in Nov.

#9 ·
jcz said:
Indaswamp said:
jcz said:
I understand what you are saying but it's mighty convenient that each election year the prices go down in Oct and then back up in Nov.
That has to do with the additives mandated by the Fed. Gov. that must be put in summer gasoline. The additives are expensive to produce. It's supply and demand...

#11 ·
jcz said:
Winner ,winner,chicken dinner!!
Once the election is over Obamacare will be more affordable than gas.

:sarcmark:

#15 ·
OGblackcloud said:
DuckManClyde said:
Mn at 2.88 and been holding for the last week or two very little up or down and usually only a penny or two difference.
What part of MN ? Where I`m at its 3.05 as of yesterday up from 2.89 a week ago TC area
Hutchinson and Glencoe have been my usual stops

#17 ·
2.83 here close to me, but with our Krogering discount we filled up the wife's conveyance yesterday for 2.47. :biggrin:

#20 ·
Indaswamp said:
jcz said:
Indaswamp said:
jcz said:
That has to do with the additives mandated by the Fed. Gov. that must be put in summer gasoline. The additives are expensive to produce. It's supply and demand...
Wouldn't winter additives be more expensive? Can't really see why fuel would need additives in the summer.

#24 ·
t_baker said:
Wouldn't winter additives be more expensive? Can't really see why fuel would need additives in the summer.
Smog.

Sunlight + volatile organic compounds (VOC) + NOx = Ozone (primary, but not perfect indicator of smog).

When the sun intensity goes down in the winter, the smog problem largely goes away. That's why we need additives in summer. The unburned or partially burned gasoline can be a key source of VOC in some regions (e.g., LA, Chicago). The additive is oxygenates that reduce the amount of unburned gasoline in your exhaust. This is also the reason for making sure your gas cap seals and that tons of gasoline vapors are not released when filling up.

Of course, the simple-minded, incompetent, control-freaks in Washington always seem to come up with the most costly, complex, convoluted approach, and ineffective solution to a real problem that they impose on places that do not even have that problem.

As far as where will the prices go. It wasn't that long ago we were at $2/gallon. I think that's probably the floor. As Swamp said, the Saudis and others are trying to drive out much of the competition, particularly fracking. I've read some things that suggest that at this point the break even point may be a lot lower than most think for fracking at this point. I also think these operations are more resilient and even if they do succeed in driving a lot of them out of the market, as soon as prices start to rise, they will pop right back up. This is the perfect place to be strategically. I'd rather we pump Saudi oil dry at $60/barrel and leave our oil in the ground for use down the road when and if oil really does become scarce as has been wrongly predicted for generations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.