Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you use 20 ga. or 12 ga. hunting?
20 ga.225.00%
12 ga.675.00%

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Which gun would you rather hunt ducks and geese with? 20 ga. would be lighter, but the 12 ga. has more killing power. Also, what length of shell would you use?

·
Registered
696 Posts
well, in mythinking, and im probably wrong, i have always thought a 3 inch 20 gauge shell would be equivalent to a 2 3/4" 12 gauge shell at the most, it may not even be equivalent to that, and i like having as much of an advantage as possible on these birds, to a certain extent, i use 3" winchester super x #4's #2's for ducks and geese, but me goose only load is the 3" dryloks that are bbb

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would go with the 20 ga with estate 3" #2or4 for ducks I know alot of people that I hunt with that can kill ducks just as far out as some people can withe a 12ga if not farther.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Deffinately 12 ga. I use 3" HV loads for ducks and 3.5" HV loads for geese. My thinking is this: High Velocity kills cleanly much better than lower velocity loads (<1450fps) and the added payload of shot gives a better density to the pattern than 20 ga will.
The only time I recomend a 20 ga is for a youth of say 8 to 11 years old, and in a semi auto gas operated to reduce the kick. Reason for the 20 is because they can better handle the light weight 20 with a shorter stock than the bigger/heavier 12 so than can be comfortable in controlling the gun which equates to better shooting for them.
Granted a 20 ga can be very deadly in close (<35yds) with an adult using it. But on those 40 yd crossing shots, say for example Bluebills, the 12 will definately outperform the 20 and you need all the whollop of payload on those big Honkers. So 12 it is for versitility to cover 98% of waterfowl hunting situations. The last 2% is where the 10 ga comes in handy, but that is another topic altogether....

·
Registered
271 Posts
No way on the 20, not with steel shot. If I'm hunting in a situation where I think I am likely to be shooting at ducks AND geese, I'll use my BPS-10 the majority of the time. If I'm hunting in a blind with more than one person, or with certain people, I'll use my 12 gauge as a courtesy due to the noise. During teal & woodie season I'll use my 12 gaugue.

What can I say, I love my 10 gauge. Might as well get that discussion going now, there is nothing else to do!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got a 20ga side by side 26" I bet you I can smoke a blue bill just as far as you can with a 12 ga. A buddy of mine shoots a 20ga remintion youth model and nock'em dead with it all the way out 45 50 yards no joke. I ve seen it with my own two eyes.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've seen a 20 gauge do it... But I still use a 12 because you do get extra yards more pellets, ect. I like shooting a 20 for pheasent, quail, and dove.

Mallyard

·
Registered
589 Posts
payload is not a substitute for poor marksmenship. a 12ga #4 1 1/8 and a 20 ga #4 11/8 both traveling 1500 fps have the same energy at the bird......half the time ppl who comp[lain about steel not killing well enough just arent shooting well enough and lean on that "non-toxic" line as an excuse as to why there game bag isnt that full, but if they thought back a minute to when lead was legal there gamebag wasnt much heavier then either. i use a 20 ga 1 oz to 1 1/8 3" mod or imp. choke w/ hevishot #4&6 and have no trouble at all also #4 drylok and kill cleanly and when i dont its cuz i MISSED not because of weak loads. hold a tight bead fellas and it dont matter 12 or 20

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
for me it's the 12 gauge, but I do like what skybuster 20 had to say. I have killed plenty of ducks and geese with my 28 ga. It throws a good pattern out to 40 yards and if you centre the pattern it will kill as good as a 12, but you are working with a much smaller pattern so you have to shoot straight. When they made us go to steel I packed the 28 ga. in as a duckgun. Like skybuster 20 said "Aim small miss small". :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Didn't get a chance to vote, but I preffer a 12 for ducks and large birds.....would kill geese with a 10 gauge, but don't kill enough geese to justify buying a 10 gauge.

A 3" 20 gauge is a waste.....anyone ever pattern one........dont' get me wrong, the 20 gauge will kill ducks well enough.....but with steel shot, trying to squeeze anything more than 7/8oz. of steel out of a 20 gauge bore......not very effective. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Hevi-shot works wonders for a 20 ga. Thats the only thing I shoot out of the 20 ga if I take it out. The 12 ga is the better way to go though. Just shooting steel will out perform a 20 ga with steel. I would just have to go 12 ga IMHO.

·
Registered
589 Posts
actually i have patterned All my 20 gauge w/ almost every combo of chokes and loads and lengths and distances and the rem chokes seem to throw 3" extremely well. otherwise i wouldnt hunt w/ it.... infact less holes then a few of my 12s. i dont know if you guys have ever played around much w/ the larger steel but ive found the improved and skeet pattern very well also, doesnt seem to create as much of a blown pattern. personally i think remington has the best chokes on the market. im not trying to be a peckerhead and make you 12 ga. guys mad i just enjoy taking my 11-87 upland special and folding birds w/ one shot kill, doubling and tripling while my hunting buddies empty all three and get one or none. till next time keep yer booger hook off the bang swith till the set their wings!!!

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I voted for the 4 bore. :eek:

·
Registered
589 Posts
this topic was never very hot when lead was legal...i believe we should be able to use lead stiil, i think more ducks die or get wounded and die later from disease or trauma or whatever then i think die from eating lead off the bottom. what do ya think.
identify them once there in the boat!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts