Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Deffinately 12 ga. I use 3" HV loads for ducks and 3.5" HV loads for geese. My thinking is this: High Velocity kills cleanly much better than lower velocity loads (<1450fps) and the added payload of shot gives a better density to the pattern than 20 ga will.
The only time I recomend a 20 ga is for a youth of say 8 to 11 years old, and in a semi auto gas operated to reduce the kick. Reason for the 20 is because they can better handle the light weight 20 with a shorter stock than the bigger/heavier 12 so than can be comfortable in controlling the gun which equates to better shooting for them.
Granted a 20 ga can be very deadly in close (<35yds) with an adult using it. But on those 40 yd crossing shots, say for example Bluebills, the 12 will definately outperform the 20 and you need all the whollop of payload on those big Honkers. So 12 it is for versitility to cover 98% of waterfowl hunting situations. The last 2% is where the 10 ga comes in handy, but that is another topic altogether....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.