Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Didn't get a chance to vote, but I preffer a 12 for ducks and large birds.....would kill geese with a 10 gauge, but don't kill enough geese to justify buying a 10 gauge.

A 3" 20 gauge is a waste.....anyone ever pattern one........dont' get me wrong, the 20 gauge will kill ducks well enough.....but with steel shot, trying to squeeze anything more than 7/8oz. of steel out of a 20 gauge bore......not very effective. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
santeerangerman said:
Duck hunting for me is more about fooling birds into my decoys, and making a 1 shot kill than it is about how far I can shoot a bird. I'm too old and lazy to go chasing a damn duck across a swamp or ricefield.

Shooting and killing ducks has alot more to do with what's between your ears, than the gun in your hands, and what's in the barrel.
Words of wisdom from a smart man......good words!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We would get along well in the field. :smile:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
CrackerJackShot said:
....... And pattern is NOT JUST a function of choke contrary to what you believe, more pellets = a tighter pattern= less birds getting through... unless your gun sucks...
More pellets does not mean a tighter pattern.....I think that you meant a denser, more even pattern. The constriction (tightness) of the pattern is controlled by the choke. Your choke is the most important part of a good pattern but like you said, not the only variable. :thumbsup:

:salude:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
:toofunny: I don't mean to come on negative or rude....just trying to help out.

CrackerJackShot said:
Haha... Ok lets get detailed... I kinda saw it as tighter kinda... all I meant was it has more pellets inside any given circle. Tighter, denser. Yep, thats what I meant. Either way. Tighter or denser helps knock the crap outta the bird besides wounding it.
Actually... :mrgreen: ... Its not any given circle, its a 30" circle for proper pattern measurement. :mrgreen:
Tightness and dense are two seperate pattern traits.....tightness is just that, the tightness of the shot impacts on paper and can be measured by pellet counts inside the 30" circle to determine a percentage.
Density is the even dispersal of shot on the board.
If you click the below link, you can scroll down to where it sais: " Simulate different target distances to see how pattern density varies" The blue circles are weaknesses in pattern density.
http://www.shotgun-insight.com/LEPA_What.html

Please don't take it that I am picking on you or trying to be negative, I don't intend that. :thumbsup:
:salude:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Well yeah, I have seen guys hunting in the timber with .410's.....when the ducks are within 20 feet you definately do not want to shoot them with a 12 gauge. :eek: :eek:

Allthough mergansers from 15 yards are pretty fun.......POOF!!!! :yes: ,I wouldn't shoot a duck that close if I planned on eating it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I eat them with 3" #4's........but I only shoot them when they hover over my blocks at about 15 yards away......I like to try to disinigrate them and have been succesful a few times. Wish I had it on tape. :yes: :laughing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.