Duck Hunting Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ha whatever WesternHunter. Thats utter bull. There is plenty of use for a 10 gauge. If your talking about the SPEED of the new shells then I have news for you. Speed DOES kill... but only to short ranges, because after that your speed drops FASTER from a high velocity pellet than a slower pellet. So if you compare a slow round to a high round at 30 yards. Yeah theres a difference, but to 40 and 50 it slowed down to the exact same. So the speed only helps in aiming. The 10 lets you launch much bigger payloads. Which results in much cleaner kills.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
CrackerJackShot said:
Ha whatever WesternHunter. Thats utter bull. There is plenty of use for a 10 gauge. If your talking about the SPEED of the new shells then I have news for you. Speed DOES kill... but only to short ranges, because after that your speed drops FASTER from a high velocity pellet than a slower pellet. So if you compare a slow round to a high round at 30 yards. Yeah theres a difference, but to 40 and 50 it slowed down to the exact same. So the speed only helps in aiming. The 10 lets you launch much bigger payloads. Which results in much cleaner kills.
I would like to see what MFR is making 10ga steel shot with these "much bigger" payloads you speak of. It is NOT Winchester, Remington, or Federal as the 3.5" 12 ga has the same payload as the 10 ga in their catalogs. And you speak of cleaner kills ????? What are you talking about ?? Dead is dead. So your saying that a 1-1/2 oz of BB from a 10 ga is better and hits harder than a 1-1/2 oz of BB from a 12ga traveling the same velocity? I just can not quite figure that out..... Please Explain your BS. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Velocity coupled with pay load KILLS. Period!! When using steel, payload alone will not equal clean fast kills. I've taken way too many duck, cleanly I might add, with both 2 3/4" and 3" 12 ga steel loads. Todays 12 ga Magnum 3 1/2" shells offer performance on par with the 10 ga.

Some just can't accept that 10 ga is just not needed to kill duck. Not meant to agrue or insult, but if a 10 ga really satisfies your ego, then use it, but don't down grade todays 12 ga, we'll use what works best for us.

Truth is I just don't see a whole lot of 10 ga shotguns on the market these days. Not saying it's days are numbered, but the future doesn't look bright for the 10.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Your right. The mighty 10's future is very shaky. I do believe that it will end up going close to extinct. And Im not saying that you NEED it or that a 12 won't do the job. But when the birds come in close and you knock down one and then your buddy knocks down the next one your aimin at, and you try to get on another bird, the range is questionable. And that is the moment when we pull the trigger and the bird goes down, but only by a broken wing or whatnot.
The difference between the 10 and 12 is that the 10 can throw more shot faster than the 12. I have a load that throws 1 1/2 oz at 1500 fps. Now thats a KILLER load that is not rivaled by any 12 gauge load. And on that shot on the bird climbing its best out of range, I trust that load much better.
I understand that the 10 isn't popular anymore, but if you can handle it, and if your efficient with it, then there are still a few uses for it.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Well Crackerjackshot you are still incorrect. I shoot 12ga 3.5" magnum loads of 1-1/2 oz at 1500 fps Federal Premium load number PW134 if you care to check the info before you speak next time. This load is identical to the 10 ga load and about the best you can get out of either one with 1-1/2 oz steel shot.

I too like the 10ga (if I am hunting from a blind or boat but not walking) but the industry is not supporting it. I believe if they wanted to do a little R&D they could probably push 1600fps with the 10 ga 1-1/2 oz load but I do not think there is enough intrest in the 10 to warrant the cost of developing new ammo for it. I do not think it will go awaw but I do think it is stale and will not progress like the 12 has recently. look at ammo choices. There are more waterfowl loads for a 20ga then a 10ga.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fired an SP-10 on one hunt a while ago. It belongs to my buddy, though he rarley uses it anymore. Nice handling gun and didn't think it kicked all that much more than the 3.5" 12s. I'm sure the 10 has it's place, but look like I've led us off topic. Anyway about those 20s vs 12s..........

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
waterfowlhunter said:
So your saying that a 1-1/2 oz of BB from a 10 ga is better and hits harder than a 1-1/2 oz of BB from a 12ga traveling the same velocity?
yes

because of a larger and more efficient bore. and a choke that has almost 1.5 times the restriction surface for greater control of patterns resulting in more shot on target at a longer distance than the 12 is capable of.

there are no shells for the 12ga with 1 3/4oz of shot last i checked. i cannot load a 12ga 3 1/2" shell up with 1 3/8oz of steel at 1625+ either. or 1 1/2oz at 1550+. or 1 5/8oz at 1500........ this fight sure is getting old. if some of you would like a couple good books on the subject, id be glad to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ok Western, Im not talking about what the FACTORIES ARE OFFERING. Im talking about what the 10 CAN DO. And Im talking about my reloads. The 10 gauge is a LOT more solidly built than a 12. They will use aluminum alloys for recievers for 12s. With every 10 built it is solid steel for the action. They are capable of handling much more pressure than a 12. Thus you are ABLE to shoot more steel faster than the 12. I dont care what the narrowminded brand names are building for it. Im talking about what it can do. Not to mention, if you tinker with it, you can get a 10 gauge to pattern better than a 12, almost EVERY time. saying that the 10 gauge is not a more efficient killer than the 12 is like saying the 12 is inadequate to the 20 gauge. Which is just loony.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
:umm:

this is a debate of "no winner"

I surrender

:salude:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm not sure that there are more waterfowl loads for 20 than 10. The 20 ga is still fairly impotent when it comes to the use of steel shot on waterfowl. If I had only two choices between 10 ga or 20 ga for waterfowl hunting I'd go with the 10 ga. I still believe however that todays 12 ga is more versatile that anything else regarding shotgun bore.

As far as reloads go. If you know what you are trying to accomplish you can work wonders with a particular caliber/guage, so I'm not contesting ya in that area. I know, I reload for a few rifle calibers.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
there are very very few choices for the 10 so it wouldnt surprise me if there are more offerings for the 20ga. it drives me crazy that most people think that the 10ga is some kinda monster specialty cannon that is useless for everything except for killing pterodactls and/or kodiak bears!! its not the gun thats special purpose, its the ammo that is available for it. if there were som good loads in a VARIETY for the thing, maybe it would see a bit of a comeback. but with the pushing of the 3 1/2"12ga's now, and how "they are the same as a 10ga" line of BS, i doubt that it will happen. its a shame, because that is just making everything 10ga even more expensive for me.

anyway, lets get back on topic, even tho this thread is a little old, and wasnt going anywhere anyway :cool:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Your right on there!! :withstupid: I really wish that too. People keep giving me funny faces when I ask for something in 10 gauge tell them that I have one. They should bring back those 2 inch and somethin shells that they used to make for it. That would make it more versatile. The only way that I CAN agree with its not as versatile is that the gun is heavy, making it hard for smaller game, and the pull is very long. That might only be because I shoot a BPS, I havent ever shot a 10 semi auto. But your very right, what you do with a gun is MORE about what you put through it rather than the gun itself, and if you go try to buy ammo for the 10 you have to struggle to get stuff smaller than BBB.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes, definatly a heavy shot user. drops geese like no other. and I'll stick with my 12 forever! But outlawing steel? come on! More birds die wounded from steel than eating lead. I guess any shot's legal as long as they don't catch you!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
duckslooser said:
But outlawing steel? come on! More birds die wounded from steel than eating lead.
studies have been done where they gave hunters unmarked shells and they had to write down hits misses and cripples. there were more cripples with the lead. there were the same number of hits with both. when the hunter thought he had steel, he remarked how bad the shot performed, and when he thought he had lead he noted how well it performed, although the real numbers didnt show any advantage to lead. its all in ur head.

the problem with steel shot is in the head of the shooter, not under the crimp. shoot the PROPER size, PROPER speed steel, and u will kill just as many birds than with lead. and in some ways steel is actually a BETTER projectile than lead was.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.