Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
What a great way to end the season, Rat. Would have been nice if those fellas had offered to help you finish up your chores. But I woulda been too distracted to be smart enough to to make that offer myself.

We have been seeing some big changes over the last few years. The Forrest preserve has some deep pockets, they’ve been using up a lot of ag land and turning it into refuges. While they still farm the land. Birds have a protected roosts and they have newly unhuntable land. They ave to travel 300 yards from roost to protected fields.

We have such a concentrated number of birds and enough fields with plenty of feed that the birds don’t get hunted. Smart little critters…

·
Registered
4 Posts
This was last Saturday from the veterans hunt I went on. There were 8 vets plus we had 6 guides. It was fantastic. The group I was limited out on geese during the morning hunt. The other group got a decent amount of ducks and a few geese. The duck hunting in my area ended today. We still have geese until the end of the month. I will be going out again this weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I started my season with a weekend trip to KS in late October, WAY TOO HOT. Sweat my arse off in a t-shirt out there to kill 4 birds over the weekend. so started darn slow. Then North zone in MO started. didnt draw in opening day. second day I woke up too late for draw so I hunted a little pot hole and shot 5 teal. then the next weekend middle opened and dont think much happened for me until after the split. I had trouble drawing in at my local area. Ended up when I did get out having great success.

I think the dry year concentrated the ducks to the water on managed areas. At least that's what I saw and where I had good luck. Other areas where I usually hunt were void of birds. And even with the much warmer than usual temps for most of season the hunting stayed pretty consistent for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went out last weekend for geese. Our Dark goose goes to Jan31st. There was a cold front that came in the Friday before and lowered Temps by 20° with winds in 40s. It didn't push anything back down our way. There was absolutely no geese in the sky.

Though about going maybe the last two weekends to catch any stragglers about, but it might not be worth it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
but it might not be worth it.
Unless the weather is miserable, it always seems worth it. Watch a meaningless basketball game or get out into the field? The latter will be the most enjoyable and will be remembered. (y)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts