Duck Hunting Forum banner

20g Hevi - mega sale

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  mtroup 
#1 ·
just an FYI to you 20g hunters......Rogers is having a sale on Hevi in 4 or 6 shot, 3"........just $10!!!!!

I put in an order today to last me at least a couple seasons.......usual price is just under $20, so this is a major league deal.

#5 ·
Toasty said:
That's hevi shot duck loads and its the lower density stuff, about the same as hevi steel. Hevi steel is coming out with a 20ga load in a couple months that should be about the same price at retail for the same stuff.
The 20 gauge Duck and Goose are identical, they are the very same load, check their website and compare item numbers, or don't and I'll buy 2 more cases to go with the 4 I bought yesterday :yes:

#7 ·
orphanedcowboy said:
Toasty said:
That's hevi shot duck loads and its the lower density stuff, about the same as hevi steel. Hevi steel is coming out with a 20ga load in a couple months that should be about the same price at retail for the same stuff.
The 20 gauge Duck and Goose are identical, they are the very same load, check their website and compare item numbers, or don't and I'll buy 2 more cases to go with the 4 I bought yesterday :yes:
we all thought the same thing, but hevishot-duck is much lighter. its not the real "hevishot". that came straight from the hevishot guy on their site... ill have to find it again, but there a thread on here about it with links to other forums where all the info is

#8 ·
I don't think there is much issue to discussing the different densities.....the FACT is, this is a more dense load than steel and performs (for me) very well in my 20 o/u......and the cost is almost half what I paid last year so I am passing on what I believe to be a 'bargain'. Just was hoping to help others out if they had the same level of success with it that I did.

#10 ·
it is a good deal. there was just a little confusion (purposely made by hevishot) as to whether you were getting the good stuff or just hevi-steel pellets in "hevishot" shells.

im sure it works great. the problem is that when i buy "hevishot" i select a size based on the density of the shot. when the shells are advertised as "hevishot", it means that the shot has a 12g/cc density. that has always been the case until recently, when, without warning or disclosure, the company producing the shells decided to switch to a much lighter density shot pellet of 9.7g/cc. this really sours me. if im buying "hevishot" 20ga shells for duck hunting, i want 7 1/2 or 8 shot made of 12g/cc material. not something else far less effective cleverly packaged to fool me...

#12 ·
I'm glad you posted the good deal. It helps us all out and let's all keep doing it. My post was to disseminate the information that I received from Environmental about 2 weeks ago:

Actually we are launching a 20 gauge HEVI-Steel load this year! It
will be
available in sizes 2, 4 and 6 and will be available by this falls
waterfowl
season!
It's on thier website now and will come in boxes of 25 shells.
http://www.hevishot.com/products.html

If about the same shot will be available at a potentially lower price, wouldn't you want to know? There is a good chance you will be getting this for about $20 for 25 shells at your local sportinggoods store which makes it a better deal.

Orphanedcowboy - Buy all the shot you want, but I like to know what I'm buying and my point is that hevi duck and hevi goose are not the same. This has been documented at first by reloaders and then Environmental finally stepped up and admitted it. I would bet that the 4 cases you just bought are hevi shot duck contain shot with a density of about 9.7 g/cm3. When you get it, I would love know what density it is and if it's 12 g/cm3 I will eat crow.

#13 ·
I'll settle it for all you nay sayers:

Notice both the Duck and Goose Logo on the Box, and the statement on the back that says heavier than lead:

I bought a box of the 12 ga duck and goose and a box of the 20 ga duck, and cut them open and weighed them, guess what, the 20 ga duck load had almost the same pellet count as the equivalent goose load:

Yes I know the goose pdf link is not available at the moment

http://www.hevishot.com/images/pdf/New For 2008 Products List.pdf
http://www.hevishot.com/images/panels/goose/HeviShot Goose Sell Sheet.pdf
http://www.hevishot.com/images/panels/duck/HeviShot Duck Sell Sheet.pdf

#15 ·
pennsyltucky said:
what was the pellet count for the 1 1/4oz load in the 20ga? im not doubting you, only double checking before i place my order for the last of the good hevishot loads in small shot
I'll have to cut another one open, I could not find my ziplocs that had the original ones in them.

#16 ·
dont do that. were they 6's? 4's? can you remember roughly what there was? i think it would be very hard to stuff 1 1/4oz of 9.7g/cc shot inside a 3" 20ga shell with a wad that could protect the barrel from the hard shot. almost has to be the good stuff to even fit.

#18 ·
Just talked to Environmental, seems they have been getting a few calls about their 20ga load. Wonder why? The 20ga load is indeed the same density as thier goose load which is 12g/cm3. Just placed my order with Rogers and they said they are getting low. They also have very good shipping rates, 3 cases to Utah for $16.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.