Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hmmmmm…you search for a commodity not easily found these days…at least not cheap.

With the price of lead, a few things have happened. 1st…the 20 ga (in various clays sports) has become more popular among reloaders. I've taken my 12 ga sporting loads down as far as 5/8 oz. I can use this micro load (loaded very specifically) on skeet-ranged targets and still be effective. I've gone to 7/8 oz for my 16-yard trap and shot nothing heavier than 1.0 oz all last summer (even off of tower shots) at sporting clays. My sporting clays scores actually went up….

The point is…getting light loads to really perform well (using 'promotional' components) in a 12 ga took some work. With the 20 ga, however, these light loads fall right into place for the novice loader. I saw a ton more 20's at the skeet and sporting ranges this year than I ever have.

The guys shooting these guns…gobbled up hulls jealously! I'm a-gonna tell you what you already know: Supply and demand…if you're looking for cheap AA 20's…stop. They don't exist…in any good, reliable supply that is. This last weekend I picked up 300 at a small, local gun show…talked the ol' boy down to a $5 bill. They were sitting under his table in a kitchen garbage bag. Once fired. THIS…is the only place you'll find such deals. Otherwise, call gun clubs…look in the back of 'Gun lists' (or whatever it's called now) and 'surf' a bunch.

I'm not trying to be discouraging…just pointing out that good, AA's in 20 are going much higher than their 12 ga counterparts and there are less of them to be had. God help you if your looking for 28 ga…..

These are like good duck ponds and good women...everyone wants them and there ain't enough to go around.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes....I know of Bob....

You can order a thousand 20 ga AA for 54.95 (includes shipping)

That figured to 5 1/2 cents per hull.

Good.....not great...but good.

Bob does also carry STS (12 and 20)...but is out of 28 at this time.

I'd still look for the odd gun club...I picked up 3000 once fired STS hulls last summer for about 3 cents per.....this was for 12 ga, of course, but you still might do better than 5.5 cents on your 20's with a bit of a search.

My 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.