Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

On the board! Tagged one at flyout this morning and was able to call a single right into the decoys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Way to get things started AA! I’ve got the blind set and ready to go.Probably give it a go next week. Also my deer prep is pretty much done. Should be hitting a walnut at 20-30yds after today’s shooting session.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glad someone is getting it done. Nothing doing in my area. Usually the golf course is calling me, but even they have no birds. Floated a local river and not a goose to be found, but things are looking very promising for duck season. Seeing a lot of birds and high numbers of mallards.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Got out for geese this morning but nothing doing. Unusually quiet for my area. Plenty of woodies and a few mallards around.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Good luck to everybody getting out tomorrow. Can’t wait for reports. Hopefully Leakey and I will have a good report to share. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Baymen! Same to everyone! Good luck and be safe. I’ve gone through everything and am all loaded up! Christmas Eve for a
Duck hunter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Three shots three retrieves this am.
Good start.
Nothing flew the first ten mins had me scratching my head.
We were done around 7 am gave the swamp back to the birds.
All woodies didn’t even hear a mallard.

Good to be back at it. Best to everyone on here from me and Thyra.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Weird one today... river was mobbed, sounded like WW3 with guys sky busting all around us... the few ducks that ran the gauntlet into our oxbow were almost all teal, lot of blue wing.. some woodies, and they wanted nothing to do with us. We saved the skunk with maybe the only two mallards we saw all morning. Far from ideal, but felt great to get back out there. Off to less crowded pastures later this week.
Plant Wood Natural material Beak Grass

·
Registered
99 Posts
THYRA & CHAPO!! great to see them back on the forum! Glad everyone seemed to avoid the skunk opening day. I unfortunately didn't get out, but sounded like everyone I talked to had similar days. And no geese, last week they were everywhere, this week they disappeared it seems.

MattS welcome to the board.

Good luck to everyone the rest of the week! Excited to see what the season brings!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hit one of my spots on a different river this morning, first time I’ve been out here this early in the season. Couple dozen woodies flying first 20 minutes, hugging the trees, wanted nothing to do with my mallard and teal spread (not surprising given the location). Had two pairs think about it and change their mind. Surprisingly, didn’t see a single mallard. First skunk of the duck season, but at least I wasn’t getting steel rained down on me like the opener. Onto greener pastures this weekend until the temps drop.
Sky Water Plant Natural landscape Bank

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Still slow as molasses out there. Seems to be the case all over. However I called in a flock of geese and a new hunting friend of mine bagged his two so all was not lost. He went home happy. First time we hunted together.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Got out for the first time yesterday. Tough sledding like everyone else. Saw 4 birds total, 2 we were able to get. A greenhead and woodie flying together as a pair… :unsure: don’t think either of us have seen that before. they circled us 3 times before committing.

Thinking I will be taking a break until I see a push of birds. Everyone have a great rest of their weekend

Bird Plant Grass Beak Waterfowl

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seems like a decent amount of birds around here, not great but definitely not terrible
The water table is still very low even with decent amount of rain the last couple months. All my favorite little pot holes are grassy fields, all of the ponds you could drive around.
I didn't see much in the ponds during preseason scouting trips so I've been hitting the salt marsh.
On Saturday I managed a couple blacks & 4 GWT unfortunately 2 weren't found in the phragmite hell hole.
Went out this morning a little late but it took awhile for it brighten up to not see just dark shapes zipping down the creek & the tide was pretty damn low too. I took a couple blacks & a drake mallard over the decoys. Picked up 3 GWT on the walk back to the truck.
Also found a 17ft plastic canoe half full of water in a ditch on the way in
Leaf Wood Road surface Wall Grass

1 - 20 of 21 Posts