Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Too damn nice out today, nothing really flying. I got a pair of black ducks so far. I just took a look at them & noticed they both have green on top of their heads so they must have some mallard in them
Bird Beak Feather Waterfowl Ducks, geese and swans

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
After a sit in the tree stand this morning I rang up a friend of mine for an afternoon hunt. Turned out pretty good for him. The target was mainly geese but he ended the hunt with 2 geese, a mallard drake and a green wing. Not bad for an afternoon. Seems to be better numbers of ducks around than last week. Back at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was out yesterday and this am. Yesterday was a bust got skunked but I managed to empty my gun 3 misses haha.
This am went better I got three woodies but one was winged and the dog couldn’t locate in the thick. Might have dove on her and never resurfaced... I’m not sure but she hunted it for a good long time didn’t want to give up. Later we walked the shoreline, no luck.
Left with two nice drake woodies.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nice hunt Farm and BM. I’ve had a rough start to the season. Missed the opener, hunted last Friday and never fired a shot. Hunted last Saturday and whiffed on a teal and a woody and also 2 guys setup late 80 yards to my right. Went out this morning and saw a total of 8 ducks and never got a shot. Thankfully called in a nice group of geese at 10:00. I can’t buy a duck so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sorry to hear about the lack of birds for everyone. Probably our best year for my Son and I in N.Y and I in Mass. Congrats to everyone on the successful hunts and everyone please stay healthy and safe !

·
Registered
89 Posts
First time out for season. Warm weather and great fishing on the north shore has delayed my start. Very slow morning with some poor shooting right at shooting time with a few teal buzzing around. Only other ducks that came in was a pair of woodies and took the drake.
Bird Beak Grass Terrestrial animal Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it wasn't for the black ducks & GWT on the salt marsh it would've been pretty slow for me. I only saw a few mallards & couple dozen geese, the ponds are pretty barren here.
I did figure out where most of the mallards are hiding over the weekend, they're on the flooded bogs eating the grass & weeds that float after the bog gets picked. Had to have been at least 50-100 birds on each network of bogs I saw getting picked.
Well now it's the waiting game for 4 weeks from tomorrow till Coastal opens back up & 3 weeks from today for sea ducks

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Well nothing like some fresh birds to make things better. A lot more birds today than previous hunts. And everything was out there. Geese, mallards, blacks, woodies and teal. Not a whole lot of good shot opportunities but made the close ones count. Nice variety pack.
Bird Beak Plant Grass Wood

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Managed my first duck of the season today, a greenwing. I have only shot geese this season so far. More birds today but not many still. Can’t believe it’s taken 3 weeks to get my first duck. Hopefully the migration kicks in at some point. There’s also a serious lack of wood ducks in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
So yesterday the forecast was calling for possible thunderstorms so I was prepared to possibly stay home this morning. Up early to check the forecast and in the clear, so to speak. It was a good hunt. Not the numbers like yesterday but still plenty of birds. Still a good mix but just ended up with some small ducks. I’m not complaining. In fact two of the three teal dropped with a single shot. Been a while for that and only the second time. A break from ducks for a bit now. Monday it’s time to hit the deer stand.
Plant Beak Fawn Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
105 Posts
Back on the board this morning after getting skunked last Saturday. Definitely saw more birds than previous hunts, but most on a mission and wouldn’t even give me a look. Finally found a group of 5 woodies that wanted to dance. Connected on the first two shots, and can’t believe the third didn’t go down, felt like I had him beaded. Also my first time shooting Boss shells, those things bang! And stoned them both instantly, think I’m sold on em!

Bird Leaf Plant Organism Insect

·
Registered
89 Posts
Haven’t been able to hunt mornings due to work. Been afternoon hunting and finding good numbers of mallards moving around in early afternoon. Been grinding out a bird here and there. Wood duck numbers seemed to have really dwindled in my area.
Water Plant Sunlight Grass Wood

21 - 40 of 72 Posts