Duck Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Had Jambrose with me this morning and there was finally a decent amount of mallards around. Only problem is they all flew within the first 20 minutes of legal then it quieted down real fast. Still not many woodies. Probably the least amount of woodies I can remember. Ended up with 3 mallards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Good job guys. The mallard push is impressive. As you know with video proof my spot is over run with ducks. Incredible numbers including Wood ducks. My desire for deer is keeping me away from the ducks but it is by no means easy. Hope everyone gets into some good duck hunting tomorrow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Big thanks to AA for letting me tag along yesterday morning. Always fun to see big birds working with good company. Currently typing this from this mornings blind, where I haven’t seen a bird in 2 hrs. Think I’ll pack up and call it a day :LOL: hope everyone has a great rest of their weekend!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Did a solo goose hunt this morning. Absolutely beautiful sunrise this morning. Almost no wind so the birds circled quite a bit but I got my two and got out of there pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
A break from the tree stand today to get back on some ducks. My new hunting buddy joined me. Family matters meant it was a late start for him. I was all set up for opening hours and it was a good first light flight and to Bob’s benefit the birds kept flying all morning and into the afternoon. We still had fresh birds coming in picking up the gear at 12:45. Birds were wary but we had some do it right. My shooting was sub par, Bob’s was pretty good. A good time.
Wood Grass Soil Natural material Rock

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did an afternoon hunt in the pouring rain. Rain stopped about 15 minutes before sunset at which point woodies started pouring in.Took a straight incoming drake which hit the water 4 feet from me. Can’t beat that for ease of retrieve. Then just sat back and watched the show. Didn’t fire another shot. Anybody hunting on the north shore tomorrow should have a good morning flight of woodies.
Bird Vertebrate Natural environment Phasianidae Beak

·
Registered
698 Posts
Finally took it between the eyes. Literally the birds disappeared. Hen greenwing and hoodie. Congrats everyone on the success, beautiful birds !!!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I’m continuously chipping away at low numbers. Got 1 black duck this morning. Saw a good amount of big ducks at first light then nothing after that. This has been a strange year as I have yet to shoot a wood duck.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Went back out to the farm on Thursday and managed 1 goose. Had a group of 40 working and was able to break a single off. Went out this morning and had 6 woodies decoy right after legal and took 2 of them. Those were the only 6 ducks I saw this morning. Hopefully the Nor’easter coming will bring some new birds down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Took a new duck hunter out yesterday, young kid I used to coach in baseball. He is a die hard deer hunter, already tagged out in CT on bow and rifle (CT lets you use rifle on private which is nice), and has been wanting get into waterfowl. Shot a nice 6 pointer on Thursday with about as wide of a rack as i've seen in a while, really cool looking buck that I think he is going to mount.

So I made the drive out to CT where I scouted a pond that was holding both big ducks and woodies on Friday, felt really good about our chances. Had woodies buzzing us 5 mins before light, eventually had a few commit. He was able to pick off a couple for his firsts of hopefully many to come. Sat till about 10:30am without seeing another bird unfortunately, was hoping to at least get a couple more groups working. Got him hooked though, he's already itching to get back out. Told him I will apologize in advanced to his wallet... :LOL:

Hope to hit it hard this coming Thanksgiving week! Hope we get more birds push down this way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Went to my local river spot Saturday with my brother now that he's home from school for a week or two. Similar action to what I've been seeing all season, but finally saw some impressive numbers. Had a few woodies and teal land in the decoys 15 min before first light, then right at legal shoot, the floodgates opened. Easily 100+ mallards flying down the river in the first 20 minutes, then a few stragglers here and there for next two hours. Managed to convince a few to work the spread. Saw a few big groups of migrating geese and ducks high over head, and saw some out of place groups of bluebills as well. Left with a bird each, including a band. Hoping some cold weather will lock up some of the flooded areas and concentrate the ducks. They are certainly around, just seem to have so many options with these high water levels.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Congratulations Matt! Not sure how long you’ve been duck hunting but it took me 8 or 9 years to get my first and is still my only. Good luck the rest of the season!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Happy Thanksgiving all. Had another slow hunt this morning but something cool came into the decoys. First time ever seeing a Wigeon in MA. I just wish her boyfriend was with her.

·
Registered
89 Posts
AA, love the wigeon picture! Plan was to hunt blacks this morning. Had a group of guys show up 10 minutes before shooting light and wouldn’t move. Starting shooting before legal and sky busting is an understatement. 10 minutes after legal shooting I was picking up. Calm morning so I made a move to a diver spot despite not many being in area yet. Set up the two bufflehead decoys I had and took a bufflehead limit with 4 shells.
Pic of 2 of the 4 bufflehead

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I’m sorry to hear about the A holes coming in late and sky busting. I truly don’t understand why anyone does that. Especially now with the ammo shortage! Haha. 4 for 4 on buffies is a tough thing to do unless you’re water swatting! Good job salvaging a bad situation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a great start to the morning, forget to set an alarm & woke up on the couch at 6am. Got out on the marsh at 7, scratched out 2 blacks & 3 GWT by 11. On the way home I stop at a pond to swim the salt off of the dog that sometimes has ducks on it. I walked out to the point & jumped some buffies. Ended up shooting one of the nicest looking drake buffies I've ever seen

41 - 60 of 72 Posts