Duck Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·

Still grinding on low numbers. Saw more ducks today than yesterday but not a ton. I was able to peel a pair off a group of 6 and my buddy took them both. Later on in the morning I broke a single off a group and took him. Really nice big fatty birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good stories everyone, haven’t been able to get out much with the little guy now, seeing everyone getting out there helps. I did get out on thanksgiving to try a new spot, only to be surprised to it iced over (my other spots are still open). It was thin enough to break through paddling out, but having not hunted there before and knowing this body of water, and I had Farmhunter’s advice in my head that a bird ain’t worth risking it, I decided to chalk it up as a loss and went home.

Southcoast not sure how high the wind will be around you, they are saying 15-20 around me. This should keep them from being as wary/circling and commit quicker. At least that’s what I’m hoping for tomorrow, going out for like an hour in the am! Everyone please stay safe out there tomorrow

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m going to try and get out early and sit, throw out a few decoys. I’ll do some jump shooting in the afternoon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welp as the first half of the split comes to a close, I was able to get out for a super quick hunt. Had to be packing up by 8am as the Mrs had plans for us to go find and cut our Christmas tree. Could hear a bunch of birds before legal, and two minutes in had a pair of woodies land right on top of me. I jump them and hit one, couldn’t swing on the other in time. It’s head is down not moving, so I go to grab my canoe to paddle and get him. Only this guy gets a second wind and before I know it is swimming around the bend and heading toward the shore where there are houses. So now I’m in a 10 minute paddle battle with this woodie trying to push him far enough away from the houses to fire a cleanup shot bc he isn’t quitting. The battle ends with him diving below, and never resurfaced. I waded around for another 5 mins thinking he’d pop up, unfortunately he didn’t. Freaking felt awful…

I decide to paddle back to my spread which is way around this bend by now, hoping I didn’t miss any opportunities while trying to retrieve this woodie. I hit the corner of this bend and 9 big ducks, blacks and mallards kick up and fly away. Couldn’t have been more in the kill hole, I mean exactly where I was hoping they’d land. I instantly pull up Craigslist and start listing my hunting gear to sell, and I had plenty of time because I would not see a single bird for the next hour + and again have to be packing up by 8.

At 7:55 I get two black ducks circling, and at one point they are cupped ready to give it up, then last second they bank hard and land 75 yds out. I start drake whistling, in a race against the clock. I can see their heads are turned at me, swimming my way. At 7:58 I am like it’s now or never. I pop up, they jump, I smoke one on the first, completely whiff on my other two shots. Thank god I didn’t leave empty handed in the final seconds of the hunt.

I paddle out and discover this beaut, one of the nicer black ducks I’ve come across, not a speck of white on the wing. Already shot a message to my ol friend Vic at Joppa Flatts, gonna figure out a nice mount for this guy. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do, please throw them my way. My other mounts are just standing ones, think I want to go a different route.

Duck hunting is like golf to me at times, I spend 95% of the time wondering what the heck I’m doing out there, ready to hang em up, and then I hit one shot on 18 and all of a sudden can’t wait to get back out. The second split can’t come soon enough! :LOL:

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving! Even with all the BS and craziness going on in the world, still a hell of a lot to be thankful for! I appreciate everyone on this forum, have gotten to meet and talk to a lot of you, and I thank you for letting me be a part of this community. Has lifted my spirits on the toughest of days, knowing there are still good down to earth people on this rock hurling through space, so thank you!
Bird Beak Feather Natural material Wing

Bird Plant community Natural material Beak Grass

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
What an amazing bird Jack, a beauty! Definitely a wall hanger. Maybe a banking flight pose to show of that speculum. My last three days of the first half were fairly uneventful. Spot slowed down but managed a mallard. Good luck to all for the rest of the season. I’m done for the year due to a medical procedure, nothing serious but knocking me out for 2021. I had a most enjoyable season in the blind and the deer stand. Looking forward to seeing more reports here. Good hunting and Happy Holidays.
Bill

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did some deer hunting today, realized that I enjoy waterfowl 100x better. Can we only hunt on saltwater during the shotgun deer season or only duck hunt in the coastal zone?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Coastal only. Keep in mind even waterfowl hunter’s are required to wear blaze orange during shotgun season for deer. It’s required while traveling to and from a blind or boat. Can be removed once there. Kind of makes you think twice about jump shooting a marsh. I cannot speak from experience how strict the EPO’s on this but it couldn’t hurt to have some blaze packed with you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Coastal only. Keep in mind even waterfowl hunter’s are required to wear blaze orange during shotgun season for deer. It’s required while traveling to and from a blind or boat. Can be removed once there. Kind of makes you think twice about jump shooting a marsh. I cannot speak from experience how strict the EPO’s on this but it couldn’t hurt to have some blaze packed with you.
If I was jumping shooting, wearing some blaze wouldn’t be a big deal for me. I’m scaring the crap out of ducks anyways. The way the regs were worded, it seemed like hunting on salt marshes or the like was only allowed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hit the coast for a quick afternoon hunt. Tons of blacks moving. I set up in a creek, but ducks were working the salt pannes. Can’t wait until the pannes freeze up. Took one black that couldn’t have done it any better. Took him at 12 yards all cupped up. Had one other black come in, but was on my phone dealing with teenage daughter issues. Black had some mallard in him.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Nice looking duck! Planning on hitting the coast Saturday. Setup in the am for blacks and geese in the marsh and salt pannes and maybe transition to the river for divers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Late start yesterday and with light winds and sunny conditions decided to hunt divers on a large coastal creek. Took 4 bufflehead, swear those little guys were bulletproof yesterday taking numerous finishing shots. Still have yet to see a goldeneye or old squaw this season.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Late start yesterday and with light winds and sunny conditions decided to hunt divers on a large coastal creek. Took 4 bufflehead, swear those little guys were bulletproof yesterday taking numerous finishing shots. Still have yet to see a goldeneye or old squaw this season.
I was out in Chatham/Orleans on Friday/Saturday and the harbor was absolutely packed with bufflehead and eider. Have never seen so many buffies in my life. Plenty of old squaw around too actually, as well as white-wing scoters. Didn't see any surfs, but did see just a few black scoters. Took two white-wings (no picture), a black and an eider on Friday, then limited out on eider real quick with a buddy on Saturday. Had some opportunities for black ducks and brant on Saturday, but couldn't deliver. Always fun getting into something a bit different down in the salt water though.
Wood Grey Cat Road surface Floor
Grass Wood Grass family Plant Snow

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Had a great hunt on the coast with Jambrose this morning. Tons of blacks and geese around and we shot horrible! You guys may want to buy stock in Boss. We got it done though and ended up with our black and goose limit. Had a heck of a time getting out of there with the high winds and low tide but it just adds to the memories in my opinion. Definitely kicked our butts dragging everything through the marsh and climbing the muddy banks to get out but I’d do it all over again!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Damn nice work guys. You guys have the affinity 12&20 combo out there that’s cool!
Sometimes just gotta embrace the misses, shooting is fun.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Fully agree about the shooting, definitely a blast. It was so windy yesterday as soon as we sat up to shoot the birds would get outta there in a hurry!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a great hunt! Interesting on the wind. Was flat calm all day Saturday on North Shore. I got beat into the area I wanted to hunt. Had to go to plan B which was a salt panne that I had seen birds using recently. Just barely set up before shooting light and had 5 teal land in decoys about 8 minutes before shooting time, but didn’t hang around. A minute or two after legal I had a black come right in which I took. Then it was a slow run of singles and doubles coming in high and circling a number of times but couldn’t get them to finish. Tried motion, pulsator, moved decoys, no decoys, grassed myself in better but couldn’t get birds to finish. Met a friend from Maine and after thunderstorm rolled through it was more of the same. He had a new to me boat which was a creek boat m80. Super light and stable. Perfect boat for dog less hunter that drags in a long way. Was really impressed with boat. Never saw a goose all day which is very odd.

61 - 80 of 135 Posts