Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping its not too early to start a new thread.... Anyone getting out this weekend for early goose?

I'm not going to lie, the season has snuck up on me a bit. I'm not feeling super motivated between the heat, the uncut corn, and general degradation/loss of dry field property availability in my area, but might take Saturday or Monday to do a water hunt/scout and float a river.

Woodies and teal will get theirs soon!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah it's been a hot summer, definitely not fun to hunt on sweltering days. Not seeing seeing much for geese around then again I'm not on golf courses or hanging out at ball fields either.
I might go for an earling morning walk in the salt marsh(tide dependant) to see if there's any rails hanging out on the sides of creeks. I shot a few last year

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Perfect time to start a new thread. I’m working on the blind and it’ll be finished up this weekend. I’ll have the gun handy just in case. I’ve had some small flocks in the area but I know they’ll be more ahead. I don’t like hunting the heat either and it won’t bother me to miss days because of it. Looking forward to everything opening up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fortunately, I got a last minute invite to hunt a cornfield with a buddy and his father on Labor Day. We went out early in September at the same field last year, and took 7 geese between 4 of us (even crappy shooting with other hunters shooting the nearby roost pond). If it goes well, might be all I need to stay satisfied during the early season and avoid some sweaty, frustrated water/marsh hunts. Headed to CO for archery elk on the 9th, praying the temp is significantly lower when I return.

Enjoy the rest of summer fellas!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Good luck in CO Matt! I may go try and shoot a couple at flyout on Monday. The corn is actually cut at the field I hunt but the geese haven’t found it yet. Very much looking forward to potentially hunting over the new pup. She’s doing real well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

Been trying to post on this site for awhile now with no luck...

Super excited to start off another season! Fairly new to waterfowl hunting but I have had some decent luck the past few years. Hopefully I will get some time off in September to bag a few early geese because boy have I enjoyed making corned goose breast and cabbage!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck in CO Matt! I may go try and shoot a couple at flyout on Monday. The corn is actually cut at the field I hunt but the geese haven’t found it yet. Very much looking forward to potentially hunting over the new pup. She’s doing real well!

Thanks!! Hopefully my first early goose hunt isn't indicative of signs to come out in CO haha. Hunted a farm we've had great luck at in the past, but with no cut corn and more pumpkins planted than previous years, the geese weren't too interested. Had a triple and one larger group fly overhead, all silent and seemed like they knew exactly where they were headed. Turned a juvie out of the triple, he flared at the last second and got the business from all three of us in the blind, but not solid enough to drop him. Other than that, heard a lot of ground calling and saw some activity at a nearby farm.

Pup is looking great, can't wait for updates over the course of the season!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Great morning in the blind today even though I didn’t fire a shot. 47 degrees felt good and just a beautiful morning. Had 2 flocks of geese pass by but they dumped into the neighbors cut corn and no interest in water. I could probably hunt that corn, I’m friendly with the landowner but the fields are along the street. Probably best to not chance it. Lots of wood ducks around and a few big ducks. And a deer on the way out. Good time.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Goose egg on the geese but enjoyed sitting in the blind a few mornings. Sat this morning as well for an observational sit. Lots of wood ducks and some mallards. Yesterday I was treated to 3 blue wings that came in right next to the blind. Saw their speculums clear as day when they came in. And two bald eagles to boot. Such a special place. Two weeks and we’re beginning our season in earnest. Good luck and I look forward to reports from everyone. I’ll be reporting often on ducks and deer. Got some good time off for hunting the end of October into mid November. Cheers!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went out for a bookend on my early goose season Saturday morning. Had intended it to be more of a duck scout and pre-season boat/gear check more than anything, as I haven't hunted this river before and had no real reason to think it would be productive for geese. Picked a spot at random and was gifted a first light show of about two dozen teal and a dozen mallards feet down in the goose floaters - had me wishing it was duck season. Heard/saw some, but not many, woodies - few more teal/mallards throughout the morning. Goose activity was better than I realistically expected, but they seemed to be acting the same way I've seen them all September - smaller groups of up to 4 geese filtering low, fast and silent through their morning routines, occasionally the entire flock would move and I'd get some noise, but mostly just tough hunting. We convinced the only single we saw to land in the spread and finished him off to avoid the September skunk. Officially ready for October now!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Decided to jump out this morning despite feeling a little groggy from a great time at the gathering last night. Big thank you again to Bill and Marci for being such great hosts and phenomenal food. Great to see some familiar faces and meet some new!

Fun morning in RI (I know this is an MA forum, hopefully this post is ok :)). I unfortunately can’t hunt opening day tomorrow, so it was great to get out. Buddy and I ended the day with a rare sighting, first time I’ve seen one since moving to MA. She came in with a mallard pair, was a pleasant surprise when I went to retrieve them. Hopefully a sign of good things to come this season!

Best of luck to everyone heading out in the morning!

Mammal Automotive tire Wood Gas Bumper
Bird Beak Organism Plant Sculpture

·
Registered
49 Posts
I worked the weekend and I’m taking tomorrow off as my comp day. Unfortunately, being a coastal dweller, I have not built up a repertoire of spots in the central zone. As a result, I’m scouting all day tomorrow. Going to swing by my usual coastal haunts to reconnoitre for the opener next Saturday. And I’m going to look at some central spots around dusk, as not not disturb anyone hunting. Furthermore, I’m planning to do some more scouting after work this week.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Congrats Baymen! That’s a beautiful bird. We saw a ton of birds the first 20 minutes of shooting light. Nothing wanted to be where we were setup. Kind of a tough spot, muddy and mid thigh deep water standing in cattails. Hide was great but visibility sucked. We probably could have fired a few more times early but it was tough to see. Had a group of 3 woodies come in and we took them all. Missed a trio of mallards that passed by close. I knocked down a woody and couldn’t find it but while looking I was able to bring down a drake mallard that passed by too close. Great to be out again and back at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bird Plant Beak Organism Waterfowl
North Shore still in an extreme drought.A lot of areas completely dry. No water has birds and hunters concentrated in small areas. Even seeing some woodies roosting in saltwater due to lack of water. Did an afternoon hunt yesterday to avoid the opening crowd. Teal are very abundant this year based on my central scouting and what I am seeing on coast. Looking forward to more teal for the coastal week.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It’s funny how different parts of the state have different birds. I rarely see teal where I’m at. Had a solid morning again today. We really should have had 4 mallards but my buddy lost one in some think cattails and I missed two good opportunities. Where we hunted today I’ve never seen geese land so we left the goose decoys behind. Of course 3 different groups land in the middle of this small piece of water . Over 50 geese milling around in the middle. Probably could have taken a poke at one group but I really didn’t want to sail one and go on a wild goose chase! (See what I did there.) Still a great morning, mallards we’re responding to the call well but we could have used some wind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Went out this morning targeting teal at a river spot that was thick with them during last day of early goose… man, what a difference a few weeks can make. Saw two distant mallards at first lite and that was it. No teal, none of the usual woodies… just dead. Perhaps it was the fog, warmth and lack of wind that contributed but moving on hoping for better luck at some other spots later this week and weekend.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts