Duck Hunting Forum banner
81 - 100 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
For anyone who uses Victor at Joppa Flats for taxidermy needs, if you aren't already aware - he's not accepting birds yet due to a delayed Federal registration renewal. I personally haven't used anyone else and usually just keep them in the freezer until he has availability, but for anyone without freezer space - keep this in mind for the near term.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Spent a few hours in the blind this morning. Actually was surprised by the numbers of ducks. Had some good showings for about a half hour but no close looks. Had a flock of twenty green wings pass through, that was cool to see. Ton of geese around but no takers. My spot has seemed to lost a bit of its mojo this season. Maybe tonight’s northerly winds will deliver some ducks. Spending the rest of the week in the deer stand hoping that the cool down will help for that. Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Matt thank you for the info on Vic, hopefully that issue gets resolved for him soon. Great guy that does great work.

BM good to hear about increase in birds despite no takers. I feel like we are hitting that lull until it gets colder and new birds arrive. Did some scouting this morning for a rare weekday hunt for me tomorrow, and definitely seeing a decrease. Even in non huntable spots that I keep tabs on just because they have been a good indicator in the past of when birds are in the area, those have been pretty dead. Going into tomorrow with the lowest of expectations, but ya never know! Good luck in the stand this week!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Random question, does anyone know why mute swans are not legal to hunt in MA? I know they are not 'native', but it seems like due to their number and effect on the environment they should be listed with other waterfowl. Whistling ducks in the south are technically introduced species as well but are hunted. Just curious if anyone knows more about this because I've always wondered (and seen many while in the blind).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Seeing divers on North Shore since November 4. Bufflehead and Old Squaw are back. Haven’t seen a goldeneye yet, but suspect any day now. Took a pair of teenagers out this morning since they had no school due to using the school for voting. We had teal everywhere for first 30 minutes and then slow pick of teal for next 30 minutes . They scratched out 9 between them (some swatted). I didn’t even raise the gun. Had a couple of ringers buzzing around as well. I think the two of them each shot over a box of shells. The boys definitely need some time on clays.
Didn’t see any wood ducks or big ducks. This area in extreme drought still. No water anywhere and think the big ducks are staying on coast. Have even seen wood ducks roosting in the salt on numerous occasions past two weeks.,

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Good on you for getting them out. Sounds like they had a blast! Friday and Saturday should help your drought conditions. I’m heading out tomorrow morning, should be good with the cold front and north winds all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
So I got my first skunk of the season today. Never even fired a shot. Had 6-8 mallards and 2 woodies in the decoys 10 minutes before legal but they swam off. After that I saw a pair of mallards in the distance and had one group of 8 give me a look but flew off. Yesterday’s front definitely pushed more birds out of my area than it delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
That’s interesting AA. Quite the opposite in my spot. Someone flipped on the migration switch big time. Had a solid half hour of duck chatter and wings overhead. Of course, I was sitting in my tree stand. No shots at deer but some excitement around my stand. Some good deer movement this morning.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Baymen, I too have been seeing a steady increase in duck chatter overhead while deer hunting this week... probably 2-4 dozen mallards flying north to south over head each morning this week. Took a fat doe this morning after missing on a nice buck, may give the stand some time to cool off and go out in the rain for ducks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good to hear reports of some birds on the move hopefully. Matt congrats on getting some meat in the freezer! Not to be outdone by AA, I too jumped on the skunk train yesterday. had some woodies buzzing early before shooting time, but then shut off immediately. Was packed up and off the water by 8:40. Had a feeling that was gonna be the case, but I was due for a day like that. Contemplating whether to suffer in the rain on Saturday, hoping maybe the heavy bands will at least push through during the night to make it less miserable.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Decent duck numbers again this morning over my stand but less than yesterday. Still promising. Man, were they flying early. I was in my stand at 5:30 and the flights were already going. Mallards by moonlight. Giving the stand a break tomorrow to try and get some of these fresh birds. Saturday is a big question mark. Deer hunting is out. Wake up and decide on ducks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Scouted around yesterday afternoon on the coast. So many teal! One salt panne had to have 150 to 200 birds. Too bad they will be gone by the Dec. 1 opener. Black duck numbers seem to be increasing daily. Didn’t see any divers yesterday.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Congratulations dad!
Well, a very good hunt this morning. Sky was full of birds. We had good action for at least an hour. If only every group would decoy, wouldn’t that be a dream. My guest was Capt Dave Bitters of Baymen guide service in Duxbury. We’ve been hunting together for years but it had been a while. He appreciated being guided and not the guide. Anyway we ended with three birds. Should’ve had more but it was a great hunt with unexpected numbers.
Automotive tire Grass Terrestrial animal Plant Groundcover

81 - 100 of 153 Posts