Duck Hunting Forum banner
101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Quick flurry of activity at first light this morning but slow compared to yesterday. Plenty of ducks around but having a heck of a time getting them to come in. Never fired a shot. Hitting the deer stand this afternoon. I was sitting on my deck yesterday afternoon enjoying an adult beverage and a deer walked the edge of my back yard at 3:15…Of course…why not 🤪

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Another tough morning, maybe 6-8 mallards at first light and 3 landed about 40-45 yards out. We contemplated shooting but with the wind we’d be chasing them across the pond. Didn’t want to chance that at prime shooting time. In hindsight, probably should have taken them as we never fired a shot. Throughout the morning we would get singles and pairs give us a look but wouldn’t commit. Probably moved the decoys 5 times and added grass to the blinds every time as well. Oh well. Thanks for suffering with me Jambrose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I scouted a central zone location in SE MA. I didn’t see a lot of ducks but the area was filled with Canadas, Coot, and a gaggle of rare Trumpeter Swans. It was amazing seeing the worlds heaviest flying bird up close. Anyone ever eat Coot?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Haha no problem, more than happy to share some misery with ya first thing in the morning! Just one of those mornings where nothing seemed to work or click. I think holding off that first group was the right call, wind was gusting pretty good, and we had other birds in the air. Just one of those days it didn't matter what we did, think we've hit the point of the season of birds that have been around a bit and are starting to get leery (need a good coldfront!). I don't think we had a single bird flare, so it wasn't like they were picking up something and flaring off. Of course the morning capped off by us standing up getting ready to pack up, and a pair of mallards that weren't 8 feet off the water beelining straight for the decoys and most likely would have finished if we weren't standing in the open :LOL:. Was definitely our sign to call it a morning, but always happy to share the blind and coffee with ya, both on the good days and the bad days. Always a pleasure!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Went out this morning to one of my usual river spots. Well over 100 birds, seemed like a mix of mallards and teal but may have been some woodies left in there. Every thing was moving well before first lite. Started at 5:40 and ended at 5:55. Had multiple groups decoy in that time period. Once we got to legal shooting, didn’t see a bird for an hour until a single bombed in cupped from directly behind me, catching me off guard out of the blind. Had a shot, but had 3 failures to fire.

Which brings me to my next point: a PSA regarding Boss shells. I’m sure some of you guys run them, so would be curious if you’ve encountered these issues. Happened to me all turkey season with boss Tom - they wound up sending me 6 free boxes and some swag. At least one of those boxes continued to have primer issues - squib loads and failure to fire. Had never really noticed an issue with the normal boss loads until breaking this case of 3/5 duplex I bought over the summer. Tried 25 straight shells out of it and not a single one would fire. Super x worked totally fine. Issue happens in all my guns - pump, semi and over under and my brother’s gun. Frankly, I don’t think I’ll be shooting boss anymore which sucks. Just have never had issues like this with any other loads before and can’t take the risk anymore.

Hope everyone else gets some fresh birds with this cold weather. Will be back out later this week.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
That sucks to hear about your experience with Boss. I’d say it’s worth a phone call to them. They may even want them back for testing. I burned through an entire case of 20 gauge 4’s over the past three years and broke into a new case this season. I have not had one single failure to fire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
That sucks to hear about your experience with Boss. I’d say it’s worth a phone call to them. They may even want them back for testing. I burned through an entire case of 20 gauge 4’s over the past three years and broke into a new case this season. I have not had one single failure to fire.

Absolutely, they've been great to deal with in the past on this issue so hoping that continues. Did call this morning and the girl that answered did spend a fair amount of time trying to convince me I may need new firing pin springs or to clean my gun, which was frustrating and a bit troublesome. She suggested I follow up via email with detailed info so I'll hold off on passing final judgment until I see the response.

I've run Boss for ducks the last two years without issue until the recent orders for the 2022 season, and loved them, which is what makes this so frustrating haha.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yea sorry to hear Matt, that's brutal. But I too haven't had a single issue out of Boss after just about shooting through their bulk 200 rd box of 12 GA. Just bulk ordered some 20 GA that should be arriving on tomorrow. Don't think I will go back to anything else, but would obviously experienced something similar to your situation. Nothing more frustrating than pulling up on a bird and not hearing bang. Hope your problem is resolved quickly

·
Registered
125 Posts
Been shooting boss for three seasons now. Have shot 2 and 3/4 inch 5’s, 3 inch 5’s, 4’s, and 2’s and never an issue out of a variety of guns. I am using solely for clean kills as I have not purchased another retriever after my last one passed. Honestly if I still had my retriever I would be shooting something faster and more cost effective. All pattern well, but partial to the three inch 5’s out of a cremator long range choke. Hardest thing for me with the switch to boss was the 1350 FPS. Had to spend a some time on the clays to get dialed in. Always shoot clays before the season with boss and during especially if I go into a shooting slump.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Went out for a quick one this morning down one of the smaller rivers I like to hunt. Similar to my Tuesday experience - few dozen big ducks flying well before first light. Landed 5 black ducks (which I have never seen in this spot before) in the decoys 10 minutes early. Shocked they came into the spinners, I never get blacks to do that. They hung around for a while then swam off down stream. I waited half an hour, didn’t see any thing else fly, so drifted down after then. Jumped all 5, put one down but softly… he kept going for a bit but only saw 4 leave. Unfortunately, I needed a clean kill in this vegetation, should have held off in hindsight but got excited by the black ducks. Was unable to retrieve it. Definitely missing the boss loads this morning haha. Didn’t see anything else except a 4 pack of swans flying all morning. Not sure what’s up, but it’s unusually slow during legal shooting for me. Looking forward to coastal

·
Registered
125 Posts
Little more ice then expected this morning. Only saw one bird, which was a hen mallard that landed in decoys around 7:30 and hung around until I picked up. Awful first half of central on the North Shore! 9 wood duck drakes, 14 teal, and two ringers. Not a single mallard or black. Today was the first mallard I have seen while hunting. Drought still in full effect and recent rains have done little to help. Coastal can’t come soon enough!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Tons of ducks going over my stand this morning headed into my spot. Glad I opted for deer though as my blind was surrounded by ice. Sure I could’ve gone and busted it up but decided on deer with the cold weather. No shots on deer. Saw one doe at a hundred yards.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Like you guys said was not expecting that much ice, and ended up battling it for a good amount of the morning until the sun got up. Still managed to scratch a goose, which was trying to land on top of the decoys that were completely frozen in (I was contemplating just pulling them bc I couldn’t keep the water open where I set them up). No clue what his plan was but took him. Then had a pair of woodies buzz over the spread and decided to give it a go, and was able to knock down one.

definitely more birds around than last time out, so I think we got a little bit of a push. Plus I saw quite a few black ducks, first time this year at this spot, which is usually a good sign for around me. Didn’t get a good look at any big ducks, similar to what others have said this week, a bunch flying around about 10 minutes before shooting, and then goes pretty quiet. Had a couple 1 offs give me a look here and there, but I wasn’t set up in the right spot and again battled ice. Did see more geese today as well, that was more consistent throughout the morning than previous weeks, just a lot of them pretty high. Back at it Thanksgiving morning, can’t wait!

Wood Metal Natural material Pollinator Butterfly

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Deer hunted all weekend and of course, noticed a lot of birds (both geese and ducks) in some of the rivers I usually hint (not my normal spots tho).... hoping the ice is pushing them into the bigger water. I usually see a sweet spot after most of the woodies push out but right before the split where the big ducks are heavy in my river spots for a week or so... hoping that's the case for one or two more central hunts this week.

·
Registered
125 Posts
10 more days till Coastal opens back up but in reality it's not till December 12th that it's worth going with the orange & no dog BS.
Im going to write the board again about keeping the coastal closed during shotgun deer season & give us the 9 days to the early split

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
10 more days till Coastal opens back up but in reality it's not till December 12th that it's worth going with the orange & no dog BS.
Im going to write the board again about keeping the coastal closed during shotgun deer season & give us the 9 days to the early split
Noreaster, I thought the state's position was dogs were fine in coastal waters and you can remove the orange when you're in the blind/boat... has that changed? If so - I guess I'll plan to deer hunt those two saturdays lol

101 - 120 of 154 Posts