Duck Hunting Forum banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Noreaster, I thought the state's position was dogs were fine in coastal waters and you can remove the orange when you're in the blind/boat... has that changed? If so - I guess I'll plan to deer hunt those two saturdays lol
[/Q
No changes, I just think it's a waste days out of the 60 we get. More than 7 days in the early split would give more opportunities to hunt teal & woody's cause they will all but gone when the season opens back up. This time of the year is still in the middle of the early ducks leaving & the late ducks just starting to show up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Side note - if any one
No changes, I just think it's a waste days out of the 60 we get. More than 7 days in the early split would give more opportunities to hunt teal & woody's cause they will all but gone when the season opens back up. This time of the year is still in the middle of the early ducks leaving & the late ducks just starting to show up.
Gotcha - and agreed. They can definitely do more to tune the season dates.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Personally don’t like the later start of the second split of central. Will most likely be very few areas to hunt due to most everything being locked up tight. I am fortunate to live in central, but only 5 miles from coastal so doesn’t impact how much I will hunt just where I will be hunting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Everything came together for me at one of my go to spots… took my little brother out and shot a two man mallard limit (minus a recovery on a drake we put down in the thick stuff).

Birds flew later in the morning than last week. Still had birds landing in the decoys and hovering all around 5-10 minutes early, but then a steady trickle of singles and small groups for first hour of shooting. We took hens early when it was hard to see, and spent the rest of the hunt picking drakes.

Shot my leftover boss shells from last season and had no issues (contrasting against my problems with this years case). They definitely made a difference vs steel from last hunt.

Hoping for one or two more days like this before the split and then onto coastal opener.
Sky Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good stuff Matt, congrats on the success, and getting to share and spend some quality time with your little bother! Mine lives in Nashville and get to see maybe once a year, and never seems to line up with waterfowl season, very much miss hunting with him. Enjoy the time together!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Noreaster let me do some digging in my basement this weekend if you want. I don't have any gadwall, but 99% sure I have wigeons and pintails. The wigeons might have a little wear, were probably hunted over for a season if that. The pintails are damn near new, I don't think theyve even been in the water. They look just as new as the ones in that picture on Rogers. I got them as a gift the year I moved up to MA from KY, and they've never been packed in my decoy bag (maybe 1 of the pintails have, I might have thrown one out just for fun once). More than happy to send a couple wigeons and pinnies your way if interested, save ya a couple bucks!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Went out this morning and the launch was frozen so we had to go to plan B and paddle down the river. Same water system but we setup on the river. Tons of birds flying around the first hour or so but we were struggling to get them in. Not sure if it was the decoys or the hide. Birds were responding to the call really well but pulling up before they’d fully commit. Myself and both buddies ended up with one mallard a piece. I shot this stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Noreaster let me do some digging in my basement this weekend if you want. I don't have any gadwall, but 99% sure I have wigeons and pintails. The wigeons might have a little wear, were probably hunted over for a season if that. The pintails are damn near new, I don't think theyve even been in the water. They look just as new as the ones in that picture on Rogers. I got them as a gift the year I moved up to MA from KY, and they've never been packed in my decoy bag (maybe 1 of the pintails have, I might have thrown one out just for fun once). More than happy to send a couple wigeons and pinnies your way if interested, save ya a couple bucks!
Thanks Jambrose
I'm interested, let me know

·
Registered
125 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving guys!
It felt weird sleeping in today & not getting up early to hunt something.
With 3 kids now I kinda have to pick & choose my days out hunting, going to try to hunt all day Monday for the shotgun opener

·
Registered
142 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Truly my favorite holiday and time of the year! Hope everyone has a fantastic day with family and friends!

got out this morning for the annual Thanksgiving hunt. Got there early to get everything set up and make sure we got spot A for us. At 6:03 we see headlamps about 75 yds to our right. I walk over and sure enough, two guys are setting up while there’s a ton of birds in the air. I said to them “ you know you guys are setting up awfully close?” Met by a sarcastic “ok…” bc they were running so late they didn’t bother to check for other hunters despite two of our trucks sitting right there. First bird that seems interested circles between both of us, eventually cups in our decoys, andmy buddy smokes it on the first shot. Said to my buddy we aren’t waiting around them to give it up, if they are over the decoys we are taking them. Next single passes over them without them With out them shooting, she circles and buzzes right over the spread, I take her one shot and folded her. Well they must of started to get frustrated, bc the next bird starts working our spread banks to circle back to us into the wind, and they proceed to skybust, not even close to them…. We end up getting one more mallard to give it up before calling it quits. Despite the situation, still were able to scratch a few birds. I just don’t get people sometimes. Nonetheless still a great way to start my favorite holiday!

Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Road surface Vehicle

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I may have a chance on Saturday to do a last hurrah on central. I’m hunting deer Friday but a check on the blind this afternoon was promising. A few of you saw my video. A few hundred ducks put up on a quick walk out with my kids. It was absolutely insane. Crazy numbers, mostly black ducks. So after deer tomorrow I’m busting ice with hopes of open water for Saturday.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I've been MIA for a while, purchased a townhouse and I've been working on remodeling since September so I haven't been out as much as usual but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Been out for ducks a handful of times and we've shot some birds each time out. My buddies and I went out yesterday for our annual Thanksgiving morning hunt and breakfast and shot a couple birds. Ended up sharing the river with a group of skybusters blasting at anything that was flying, shooting at birds that had to be 100 yards up. I'm going to guess that they've been in there quite a bit because the birds were staying pretty high up. Managed to drop a pair of mallards that I was able to turn and work into the decoys but other than that most of the birds were uninterested. Wood Natural material Grass Twig Groundcover
Wood Branch Trunk Grass Art
Wood Natural material Grass Twig Groundcover
Wood Branch Trunk Grass Art
Plant Carnivore Tree Groundcover Terrestrial animal
Plant Tree Branch Wood Trunk
Water Plant Sky Wood Natural landscape

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Good stuff and good to see you back. Well, my high hopes for tomorrow have been completely dashed. There’s a ton of ducks in my spot the past few days in the available open water. I was thinking with the mild temps the ice around my blind would give out and I would give it a little help today. Wrong! Over an inch in some spots. Not worth the effort or my safety. Guess I’ll be back in the stand for the final day of bow.
Water Sky Wood Gesture Lake

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

Glad to see you back and some great pics of the pup. Had an interesting morning, there was absolutely no flight at first light. A woody came swimming in from somewhere 15 minutes after legal and that was it. It wasn’t until about 7:30 and the mallards started flying. We ended up with our mallard limit out of 3 groups. I didn’t shoot very well today. Around 9 a pair of mallards came in and hung out in the decoys for 30 minutes. I have never seen this before but they mated 4 or 5 times while there. They would both bob their heads up and down then she would lay flat and he would mount her. Pretty wild. Also check out the first hen on the tailgate, tons of green on her head. Maybe I should say they or them, not sure what it identifies as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 149 Posts