Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a 12 G berreta and i love it but i shoot a 26 inch barrel because i do some upland hunting to. I sometimes think i am not getting the range and power i could be with a 28" barrel. What is your opinion?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You lose very little range and power with a 26 inch barrel. The only advantage that a longer barrel has it that is is easier to swing. You are probably losing 15 fps if that. I know several guys that use 24 inch barrels and have no problems at all. With today's powders the barrel length doesn't make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
271 Posts
ks_waterfowler said:
You lose very little range and power with a 26 inch barrel. The only advantage that a longer barrel has it that is is easier to swing. You are probably losing 15 fps if that.
I think you are exactly right. It seems to me that a shotgun reaches 90% of its maximum velocity at something like 22 inches. My Dad, the aeronautical & aerospace engineer with a recent minor in ballistics, gave me more info than I could retain earlier this year while I was shopping for a new gun. You aren't loosing anything other than swing, just like ks_waterfowler said.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's all about what you feel comfortable with, If you dont feel like the 26" is the right length for you, than maybe you should try the 28" barrel. Try it out first and then decide. I dont think you'll lose much range with the 26" it might be just a matter of adjusting your lead.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This doesn't directly respond to your question but may hopefully be a useful comment-

I had been using 26" guns for upland, 28" for waterfowl and target. A few years ago I won a 28" Beretta 391 20 gauge at a DU banquit and started using it for upland.

My hits went waaaaay up- I think I just swing or follow through better with the longer tube. It hasn't proven to be difficult to get around in the woods with it either, and I hunt in the same thick stuff every uplander does.

In my experience the notable lethality is identical between the two lengths, but you may find the longer barrel is going to help with your shooting- dependig on your style.

Good luck!

Brent

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I'll agree with Steve on this topic. I hada 26" barrel on my SX2 3 years ago--I did not shoot too well with it VS my SX2 in a 28". I was thinking 26" better for upland grouse---but it just did not do the job for me on waterfowl, so I sold it and bought another in 28". Many trap shooters use 32" barrels, the reason being a longer sight plane and follow through as I recall at the longer ranges. 30" used to be the norm in guns 70 years ago... but today 28" is the std.
Some mentioned the ballistics of no difference, I'll second that from my readings on the subject.

But here is 1 important factor--the shorter the barrel the louder it is. I was in pit blind goose hunting almost 2 years ago--a guy 10' away had a 24"-the loud concussion knocked me to my knees-and he was firing almost straight up. :eek: Ears were ringing for days... :pissed: There is no doubt about it- they are louder, a 26" is louder than a 28", but the 24" is just terrible for the report to the guys around you. I will not allow a 24" gun when hunting--I'll leave if I'm a guest before I'll knowingly subject myself to that punishment ever again.

Incidentely, there is a guy where I live that makes 4' barrels for guns---they hunt right next to houses and it make the report of a 22 short--very quiet. They use them for hunting urban crows and geese. In urban areas--the big factor is the new home owners calling the police because you are disturbing the peace-it may be legal to shoot there-but the police still will warn you one time-next time they issue you a misdemeanor for disturbing the peace when hunting with regular shotguns. So these "long guns" do the trick in keeping the neighbors happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In the late 70's Remington made a run of 26 inch full choke barrels for thier 870 and 1100 lines.They couldn't keep them on the shelves.The idea was ahead of it's time and nothing more became of it until much later.Remember that shooting a repeater with it's reciever makes a 26 inch barrelled gun as long as an over under with 30 or 32 inch barrels.An experienced shooter will feel the difference between a 26 or 28 inch barrel on the clay range,but in a boat or blind with birds twisting and darting and changing directions on a dime I found a slight advantage with the shorter barrel.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I will tell you which barrel length is the best, bar none. Its the 26" or the 28". I have owned them both with no apparent difference. If I have my choice I will take the 26" but if there is no choice I will take either or. Anyone that tries to tell you there is a difference in performance other than there sight plain and there used to are full of chit!. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I've owned both and there is no significant difference. Buy which ever one is cheaper / available. Modern propellants are all burnt up long before they get to the end of either barrel.

I prefer the 26" b/c it swings better for me, I can swing it faster, however if you do a lot of pass shooting the longer barrel may be better b/c you have a longer sight plane. Either way there is not a lot of difference.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
You lose 10 fps for every inch of barrel lost. You will never know the diff. Also max velocity of the shot is reached somewhere around 20-30" from the end of the barrel as checked with two chronys in series and confirmed by Dr. Chris Luchini former ballistician at Los Alamos. Also the longer barrel will generally give slightly tighter patterns with the same choke. Ned S who shoots 24, 26, and 28" barrels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
"Also max velocity of the shot is reached somewhere around 20-30" from the end of the barrel "

Is that inside our outside the barrel ?????

Reference????

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Like everyone has said you're not losing any range or power with the shorter barrel. Some people find they're more accurate at longer ranges with a longer barrel though, due to the longer sight plane. Whatever you like best is what's right for you. I'm a big 28" guy. I'm not a fan of anything shorter most of the time, but that's 99% because of the noise increase. Coyote hunting is the only time I've ever wished I had a shorter barrel gun.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have 24", 26" and 28" Barrels for my BPSs and I like the 26" better than the 28" and the 24" better than the 26". I havent noticed any difference in performance or noise, it just makes it easier to handle in and out of the truck, blind, boat, house or whatever. Better for walking around with upland hunting or turkey hunting. If you use an extended choke the 24" is about the same as the 26" with a flush choke. I haven't had any problems with my swing with the 24", swings just fine. JMHO I'd get a 22" if I could find one.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
spartina said:
"Also max velocity of the shot is reached somewhere around 20-30" from the end of the barrel "

Is that inside our outside the barrel ?????

Reference????
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: How do you check the velocity inside a barrel?? :huh: :huh: :huh:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Those two inches make no dif, in my opinion, apart from the sight-line and the swing balance of the gun. When I shoot touneys I use my 32" A5, but my main hunting gun is a 26" SX2 - it handles turkey and waterfowl duty. I run Kicks extended chokes, so the set-up ends up near 28" anyway, but there's where the length loss is made up - the right combo of choke and load.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts