Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I had an accident that resulted in a dislocated shoulder, torn rotator cuff and 4 breaks in my left shoulder and arm. I am left handed and that really sucks. After surgery I wound up with 3 screws in my upper arm and a pin in my wrist. Needless to say all of this plus osteoarthritis in my shoulder I have had to quit shooting for a while. My surgeon who is an avid hunter told me that my shooting days were over. I have thougt of buying a 28 gauge for upland hunting and ocassional skeet. Most of my duck hunting has been for woodies over several pot holes and roosts in swampy areas near home. I just want to get some feedback as to what you think about using the 28 gauge with Bismuth shot for shooting woodies. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I would think that with a bismuth load of #5 you could do fine on Wood ducks at reasonable ranges. I have used the #5 and it worked great on close range ducks, not sure how well the #6 would work. If they had load data and wads for hevi shot in 28 the #6 hevi would be a serious load in a 28. I would do a lot of practice and some patterning to make sure you get your best performance for you and the gun. I love the 28 and always maintained the same average at skeet with 28 and 20 so I know it will perform at reasonable range. The ¾ oz load is very soft shooting and patterns good. You just need to choke up a little to get a good dense pattern. The 28 is great on dove, grouse, and rabbits, I just have never duck hunted with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have always shot a 12ga. since I was 11 years old. This is going to be quite a transition. A couple of years ago I shot some skeet with a couple of fellows. One was shooting a 28 ga. Ruger O/U. I was impressed with the way he was powdering those clay birds. I found a Wingmaster 870 in 28ga. yesterday. It was NIB and had the rolled engraving on the receiver. The gun dealer said it was a 2003 model. He wanted $549. for it. Couldn't talk him down. From the prices I have seen on Gunbroker.com, I guess that is a good price. Thinking very seriously about it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
That doesn't sound to bad. The 28 is a bit of an oddity to non-target shooters so there are not a lot of options out there. The 870 is good. I really like the browning citori lightning 28" for a 28 ga., but that's a whole different price range. Remington also makes an 1100 28 ga. and I see them every once in a while for sale. The Ruger is also OK if you can find one for a decent price. O/U's have a little more weight than the 870 which will help with recoil. You should also consider maybe a soft shooting 20 ga. If you get a heavier gun like a 390 Beretta auto in 20 and load it with 1200 fps 7/8 oz. #5 bismuth it would out do the 28 and probably be very comparable in recoil. Throw in a real soft recoil pad like a limb saver and you would be surprised how mellow a 20 can get. I have killed more birds than I can possibly count with a 1200 fps 7/8 oz 20 load. The 28 is also going to require that you reload to get much variety in loads.

·
Registered
327 Posts
have u ever tried shooting with ur other hand???? i duno if it would work but maybe u could try to learn to shoot with ur other arm????just and idea thats what my dad did after he broke his collar bone so now he can shoot w/both.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only problem with switching is that my left eye is my prominant eye. I have already tried shooting right handed at some paper targets and my sighting is way off even though I normally shoot with both eyes open.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Take a look at the shielded fiber optic sight beads by Truglo. They have one as well as a couple of other mfr's. These sight beads are supposed to only show up when you are correctly lined up on the gun and should only be visible to the eye over the gun. This could help. I had the eye dominance problem and switched hands, but if I were dealing with it now I would give this a try. I tried the tape on the glasses thing but it drove me nuts. Other people have had great luck with it so it's definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Thaner makes an excellent suggestion regarding the Beretta 390.....if you can find one, Walmart has been selling off all their Berettas until they are gone since they are no longer alble to distribute them....the 20 g was priced very low....like at @ $300 (Iwas sooooo stupid not to buy a couple) ...although in 12 they are keeping their prices at about $550...I guess they are trying to dump the 20's since they are not as popular selling!!!! so you may have to shop around all your area's stores and look for one, but if you find one it is a super deal......I use a 20 often early season on teal and woodies and have excellent success and the recoil is minimal with an auto.....and it is potent enough for mallards and canadas in the decoys!!!! A 28 is sweet, but really not practical for average shotgunners on waterfowl...IMO

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not being familiar with the Beretta 390, I looked at the Beretta web site and they do not list a Model 390. Maybe Beretta is dropping this model. That might be why WallyWorld is no longer carrying them. I also, saw a lot of sites while doing my search that is offering the 390 at discount prices. Makes you wonder. I am still partial to the Remington 870. My first shotgun was an 870 bought with hard earned money in 1954. It was a 16 ga. that was chambered for 2 9/16 inch shells. No recoil pad and it kicked like a mule. I was only 10 years old and small of frame. Probably why it kicked so much.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Maybe it is 391.....regardless, it is a good deal if you find one....Walmart is no longer able to sell any of the Benelli family of guns since they are not a certified carrier of the products (Benelli, Berreta, Stoeger, Umberti)......so they are deleting whatever they have in stock....and I have checked regarding a store ordering one...they are not available....only if you find one in a local store can you get one....at least that is what I was told by the Northeast Regional Director.

Berreta stopped making the 302 back in '87....I have the A model which is an aluminum receiver, in 20g that is so sweet to shoot.....little recoil even though lightweight.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The 390 is an excellent gun. The 391 is a newer version as is the 3901. I think the Wal-Mart gun is a 391 or 3901. I have a 390 and never a single problem with it. I also have a 391 Xtrema and love it. The Xtrema may be an option if it is in your price range. I know the 3.5" is not what you are looking for, but the recoil reduction on this gun is nothing less than amazing to me. I got mine after the waterfowl season was over and have been shooting it at the gun club on clays. I haven't had time to shoot some heavy steel in it yet, but the other day I was shooting some scrap and someone gave me some 1300 fps 1 1/4 oz. loads to try and they were nothing in the gun. I though they were standard trap loads at the most and I only thought that because I could tell they were heavier than the 1 oz. Loads I was shooting. My 1 oz. Loads felt like nothing with less recoil than my standard 1150 fps 7/8 oz. 20 ga. Skeet load in an O/U.

Hay, I love the 870. A standard weight 20 was my first gun and I dearly love it. I have several more 870's now and have had every ga. as well as a couple of trap guns. Can't go wrong with the 870. I just figure there may be a better choice for a low recoil waterfowl gun in a larger ga. that will give you more payload and readily available ammo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the updates on the 390/391. Going to Wallyworld today. I will check and see if they have a Beretta. I have only owned one auto and that was a Remington 1100. Bought one when they first hit the market. It was a sweet shooting gun, but shooting left handed I caught a lot of blow back on my glasses and face. Got rid of it after a couple of dove seasons. That's why I like the 870--no blowback.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I have an 1100 also and used to shoot left handed. When I got my first 390 I was still shooting left handed. I didn't think the blowback was as bad with the 390 as the 1100, but you are still bound to get some. The nice thing about the 390 is that you can change the safety around and the stock has a shim system so you can change the drop and the cast to fit, which was the seller for me when I was a left handed shooter and couldn't find anything I liked that fit good. I am not sure on the safety with the 391 as now I shoot right hand and haven't checked out my 391 to see if it still is reversible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found an Ithaca model 37 in 20 ga. Action is slick and the blue is about 85 to 90 %. The wood is about 50% and no recoil pad. Has a 28" Mod. barrel w/o a vented rib. The dealer is stuck on his price of $200. I thought maybe I could add a Limbsaver recoil pad and refinish the wood. Would probably make me a good all around gun. It has a 2 3/4' chamber. I owned a 37 years ago and it was a good shooter. I forgot to look at the serial # to see if was 85,000 or newer. What's your opinion?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The 37 is a nice gun. I have a feather in 20. It is a dream to carry but barks a little more than the 870 because it is so light. I do like the bottom eject in the 37 and BPS. As long as it will shoot steel in the barrel is would be a fine gun if you can shoot lighter loads that won't bother your shoulder. The 37 will have more kick than a heavier auto, but the bottom eject is nice for a left-handed shooter. I also saw a new pad that is supposed to be even better than a limb saver and decelerator. I think it was marketed by HI VIZ, Xcoil, I think. Very soft.

I just picked up the 2005 Benelli catalogue and I see they have a left-handed M2 with the new comfort tech stock. I am not sure if they have it in a 20, but that could be a soft shooter. The new Stoeger and Franchi catalogs have very similar recoil systems to the Benelli and are less money I have heard. Not sure about left handed guns.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.