Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I sold my trusty 11-87 to buy a new semi-auto shotgun; I have to admit I was a little worried that I would get a lemon. After this last weekends snow goose hunt I am sure I made the right choice. My 11-87 was a very reliable gun, but did not balance well, was heavy, and had lots of little action parts and that pain in the @$$ O-ring. I would have to clean it every 200rds or so to make sure the action would not get gummy and slow, but I never had funciton problems.

I bought a brand new Browing Silver with a 3.5" chamber and after this weekend I will never look back. The gun functioned perfectly even in freezing rain conditions, while my buddies guns were frozen (one SBE2 and a Stoger), and to boot I have not cleaned the inside of the gun yeat and have put over 300rd throught it. The gun was covered in Ice, sleet and rain without even a hick-up. I have clean it externally and made sure it was dry after all the rain and ice was all over it for 5 hours. It sat in the case for another 12 before I could dry it however. The Remington would have been covered in rust had I done that. This gun balances much better and has a simpler and more effective gas system. I am very happy with my purchase. I would definatly recomend this shotgun.

My only complaint is that the Dura-Coat finish started comming of the very first time I used it. I think they should change the name to Coating. I am in the process of removing it now, and I have heard Browing will do nothing about it, and it makes me wounder why they even put it on.

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
what is the price range on the Silver if you don't mind me asking? I've seen that Browning is giving a rebate on the Gold models but not on Silver. I like the looks of gun. Same guts as the Winchester SX3 right? How is it less gunked up then the 11-87? Are the gas systems that different?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I paid $799 and the only difference between the gold and the silver is the magazine cutoff and the auto load feature. I personally like the look of the silver better so I bought one. The gas system is much better than the 11-87, but the main differnce is the browing system does not have the o-ring. The system is much simlper and has less parts. I also like the fact the the bolt disassembles so easily on the browning.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks. My supermag is in peices right now after its second goose hunt. Shot great while it worked but jammed a 3" and busted the carrier release. not hitting the panic button yet but i sure like the looks of that browning silver.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was wondering what kind of shooter do you think the Silver suits best? I've been looking for a new auto but always have trouble finding one that gets the line of site up for me since I'm a taller shooter(6'1"). The stock measurements seem a little on the verge of the lower side as far as drop at the heel goes for a good fit for me. However for some reason the SBEII fits nice and has almost the same measurements. I haven't been able to find one in stock for me to try. And I'd definitely prefer the Silver over going the Benelli route.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to add an inch to the stock and 1/4 to the comb. I bought a kit from Bear Creek that allowed me to do this and it made the stock quite comfortable. I am in the boat that you buy a shotgun you like then make it fit you. This way you get what you want and a gun that fits you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
fenton_3 said:
------- The gas system is much better than the 11-87, but the main differnce is the browing system does not have the o-ring. ---------
Unless they have changed something just recently , I think you will find that it does indeed have a o-ring in the gas system .

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Does have an o-ring. Inside the steel ring that holds the barrel on the magazine. Just in front of the gas ports. If it cracks, turn it inside out and go back to shooting. I've been using an sx2 since 2003, running about 5 cases of duck loads and probably about that many light loads per year, and I haven't had any problems with the o-ring. But it is, indeed, there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the Browning Gold Shim kits might work! Also I used a Bear Creek product that has a neopream wrap and foam to add length and rise in the comb. You can buy them at Bass Pro or Cabelas. I would recommend them!

·
Registered
367 Posts
does anyone know who sells replacement barrels for the silvers? I checked brownings webiste but they weren't listed under the parts list. Im thinking about getting a stalker model and then putting a 30 inch hunter barrel on it....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts