Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt down in texas and have been using 3 inch and have killed alot of ducks....but have wounded alot too that i couldnt find....what do u think would be the best shot size and all for it?

·
Registered
189 Posts
4, usually, try a different choke, that has helped me, or get bismuth or hevishot, but that's spendy, a tighter choke that you can use steel shot with, from there go to 2's or bigger, remember though the bigger they are the less there is, so you have to be hitting them good too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hunt south of houston and have used 3" 1's and mod choke with great success for 25 yrs, on mallards and pintails. 2's on teal. T's on geese.
Just my opinion, but it has worked for me.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Txwatrfowlr; Steel 4 c/o Decoy's #2 pass shooting And BB - BBB for Geese should solve your problems. Lost birds; you do have a dog, right? Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Even though using steel shot will increase crippling rates. That is my main reason for being more realistic on shooting distances. Anything that goes down can be recovered quickly. I do not know the type or style of shooting that we are talking about but just for arguement sake. The longer the shot the more likely of cripples anything past 50 yards is sketchy as far as crippling rates. A good dog is helpful but then I have seen cripples fly off for a mile or so before going down.

·
Registered
313 Posts
3 for all ducks adn bb for geese its all opinion i think .. just try a few diff loads adn see wich one you seem to liek best

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
i find that i cripple a lot more big ducks with #4 steel if i am reaching out for them much past 25 yards or so. i like to use 3" shells with 1 1/8oz of #2's flying at 1550fps. really puts the smack-down on ducks.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Not knowing the hunting conditions its hard to say. But I like the #3 pellet for ducks its a great comprimise between pattern density and energy. In a three inch chamber I like 1 1/8oz loads at 1500.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts