Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started to hunt geese and ducks and I am in the market for a new shotgun. The question I have is this: is it worth getting a 3 1/2" gun or should I stick with a 3". Is the 3 1/2" much more effective for longer shots, or should I stick with a 3" gun and invest in a good choke tube? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I got a Nova this year for ducks...dont let nobody kid ya, 3.5" knocks the crap out of ducks. I'm using some cheapo Winchester Xpert #3's that I got on sale with the factory modified choke tube. Ive lost a couple ducks that dove on me, I dont have a dog, but, generally they are dead or dying when they hit the water. Not really longer shot, better pattern. Get the 3.5" for waterfowl...you'll be glad ya did.

:hammering: :salude:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I would take the complete opposite approach. Get a good choke, buy some 2 3/4 or 3" shells and pattern them to see which shoot best. You can easily kill just as many ducks with 2 3/4 or 3"shells. 3 1/2 destroys too much meet for me on decoying ducks.

When I goose hunt I shoot 3 1/2.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Since your already in the market for a new shotgun, I don't think it would hurt if you purchased one that handeled 12ga 2 3/4. 3, and 3 1/2" shells. This way you have all your bases covered. Be selective though! Their are a lot to choose from.

98ramtough is correct in my opinion that a 2 3/4 or 3" with the right loads and chokes will handle all your waterfowling needs.

Myself, I usually use a 12ga 2 3/4 & 3" for ducks, and a 3 1/2" for geese. If your interested, they are in Order:

Ithaca Mod 37, 2 3/4"
Browning Auto-5, 3"
Browning BPS, 3 1/2"

Have fun shopping!

·
Registered
81 Posts
2 3/4 or 3" is plenty.........but why not go ahead and buy a gun capable of shooting 3 1/2's just to keep your options open....I have 2 3 1/2 guns but only shoot 3"..........I'll probably buy 2 3/4 shells when I run out of what I already have.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I like 3 1/2's, they feel like lightning bolts goin out yer barrel. But they also cost an extra $6-10. But if you get a new gun, why not just pay the extra few bucks, cause you can use either, it is much more versitile.

-SR

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got a gun for 3.5's..and I can't really say I've downed more birds because of it. I'm sure every little bit helps, but plenty of birds for decades have been taken with 3's. As a matter of fact, I haven't shot one single 3.5 this year, and it's been my best season yet. If the price is right, why not, I would, but I wouldn't pass up a good deal or spend alot extra to have the 3.5

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.