Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Wrong size was shipped to me before I realized what had been done. I have used this vest three times (i guess you say i tested it out for whoever may want it). My new one is now in so I no loger need this one. Size Large in Advantage Wetlands Camo. $20.00 Vest in perfect condition did not trim it to prop. fit the dog still in its original state and original bag for storage included. PM for further questions.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
hey sc,

i'd be interested but i have no idea how the sizes run on these things. was it too big or small for your dog? my lab is about 130lbs and i am sure he would need a pretty big one. also, what is your asking price? let me know...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its only a large if yours weighs that much it would not fit. But you measure by the pic above, the neck, chest, stomach. And it is $20 I just lowered the price in the first post.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i gotcha. what are the measurements for a large? i didn't see them. i will measure the fat boy when i get home and if it'll fit, then we'll see what we can do. thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i checked his measurements and couldn't help but laugh at him. 23, 40, 35 neck to chest so i don't think the one you have will work. i am not sure they even make one that will fit his fat behind. i'll check their website. thanks anyway.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Sharpshooter,
Sounds like your "stud" needs a belly-boat :laughing: . That's one big dog! Do you have a Chessie? I have an Ox myself. My house dog (Golden Retriever) weighs nearly 110 Lbs. I was thinking of putting him on the Adkins' diet :smile: ! Wings cupped, Pete

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Pete,

No, he is a Chocolate lab. He has been on a diet now for awhile and he doesn't like it at all. My wife has been after me about putting him on a weight-maintenence dog food. He really won't like that...

The problem is though, even if he looses another 20lbs (which ain't gonna happen), his chest is solid as a rock. He isn't going to lose weight there...and I can't find the first vest maker that has one in this size. What does everyone do for those big 140lb chessies, etc.? Surely someone has to make something to protect the big boys...hell, they have fat-man waders... :toofunny:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heck he will break whatever is under the water being that big :mrgreen: . Or he will sink :eek: All joking aside some people prob dont think it is a big deal and its not all that really to some degree. But to have that protection if they did jump on a sharp stick under water and for the extra help in the flotation like mine has its worth it to me IMO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i couldn't agree more SC. this has always been a concern of mine with him. he only knows one way to enter the water and that is jumping as far as he can. i am not necessarily concerned as much with the temperature issue as the safety it provides. nonetheless, i'll keep looking.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Sharpshooter,
My buddy has a Chessie in the rotund size. He bought the largest vest he could find, (which was an X-tra large) and modified it. He just cut the neck larger and opened up the chest. The chest area is typically where the fitting problem arises. His dog must weigh 120 to 130 lbs. I'm with you the added warmth and floatation on those long retrieves is well worth the 50 or so bucks to take the risk on the modification of a vest. Wings cupped, Pete

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jeez some of you guys have some huge dogs My MCL weighs 82# and I'm always fighting his weight He'd get fat in a rocky field. Write Cabellas and tell em you need a new size 2x, 3x, shetland. :smile:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.