Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
In my opinion, it is one of the best all around shotguns you can get. Great for everything from duck, dove, turkey, quail. You name it, it can handle it. I have two of them, 20 ga. and a 12 ga. Never had a problem out of either one. I highly recomend you get one. You won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I have the 870 magnum and love the gun. I have been using the Mossberg 500 for waterfowl as a beat up gun. But I would love to get a remi choke barrel fr it to put steel and hevi chokes in it and down a few geese with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
870 is a good all around gun. I agree about the wingmaster recommendation. For a little more money you get a gun that won't rust in a heartbeat.

however, the express doesn't shoot any different, and if you are looking for a beater, the express is definately a beater. inexpensive and dependable. It won't make you squeamish if you drop it in the mud and hurt the finish, because there is no finish to speak of.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I absolutely love the wingmaster, but it is a little too nice for what I do when I am duck hunting. I bought a nova because I personally thought it was a better value. I have seen the newer wingmasters rust a lot faster than the novas.

don't get me wrong, I think they are a GREAT gun, and very reliable, but I think the older wingmasters were a little tougher...

Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
I disagree w/ dkhunter, yes I have a wingmaster and think they are very reliable and rust resistant. But I have 3 expresses, 1 20 guage mag, 1 12 guage mag and 1 super mag 12. Even though they don't have the same finish, I believe that both wingmaster and express are equally prone to rusting, just like every other gun out there. With normal upkeep like wiping it down w/ remoil will take off any rust noticeable or not, and make it look like new again. I think you will love with whichever one you get. Can't beat the prices and the reliability/simplicity is amazing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a 870 wingmaster LOVE IT but my brother has a express the second hunt it stoped pumping so we sent it in it came back a few hunts then the problem came up again so we are problay going to send it in again or just buy a wing master oh yah I had some problems with rust on my wing master(old gun and blueing started to come off) so I'm going to get it dipped this off season to help with the rust

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
bassinator....I speak from first hand knowledge...twice I have seen a brand new express turn to rust the first day in the field.....from those two experiences, and seeing many sports have rusty 870's, I have formed an opinion.....maybe even a predjudice at this point....but I do not spoof at Remington....one of my favorite pieces is an 1100 (circa mid 60's) that has never failed me - and is clean as a whistle....I knoiw we all have different experiences, unfortunately mine have been negative rather than positive.....no malice or intent to start anything with you proud Express owners....just sharing an experience and opinion

·
Registered
99 Posts
dkhunter, I'm sorry too, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, and I understand w/ the funky finish on the express how it roughness could cause it to hold water and rust. I don't care what I'm shooting as long as it is reliable, and I have found all remingtons, no matter the make, to take care of critters for me. To all his own.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My opinion is if you buy a gun to duck hunt, use it, otherwise buy one to leave in your gun cabinent at home where it don't get muddy, beat up in the boat, and tossed around, or the dog shaking water on it! I have two wingmaster's a 12, and a 20, and an express 12. Love all three of them. Gave the 20 to my kid to use and he'll get the express 12 in a couple year's also. But he aint getting my 12 wingmaster. IMO you can't get a better gun for the money!!!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I hunt with a 870 express magnum. I was told it is the best darn pump shotgun for the money. But I have mixed feelings about the gun, I think it shoots good, but have had several instances where the forarm gets jammed or "stuck really hard" in the back position while trying to eject a shell. It also has started to show sighns of the matte finish wearing away and ins some spots early sighns of rust. Also, it (and most other brand of shotguns) has those god-awful trigger safeties. There isnt much worse than jumpin up, leading a bird and Oh.... I need to pull my enire finger out of the trigger group to turn off the safety. That is why I am in the market for a new shotgun with a GOOD safety. The only two companies I know of that make the good "thumb safety" is Browning and Mossburg. I think I'm gonna go with the Mossburg.

Hope this helps ya!
-SR

·
Registered
598 Posts
I like the trigger safety. When pulling the gun up, just push the button, and by the time you have the gun shouldered your finger is on the trigger and you can blast away. very simple in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.