Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of times this year when i was duck and goose hunting I came in to the preblem of my reeds freezing on my especially well really only on my goose call. So what call would be a good reliable call where I don't have this problem I want a goose flute preferably under 100 dollars?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Almost all calls freeze up when it is 20 degrees out. I put mine in my coat to keep them warm and then pull them out when needed.

Now if you have a sticking call when above 32, then that is a different story. Some call makers when requested like Steve at Fowl Language calls will make a groove into the tone board so it does not stick as easy. BTW sticking is caused by spit and some guys produce more spit than others, so some guys have lots of sticking problems.... meaning it is not the call so much as the user.... :tounge:

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are hunting with waders, most of them have a pouch. I have a hand warmer in mine and i put my calls in there. Also standing them up lets the water drip out and not freezing. Let me know if this helps

·
Registered
352 Posts
Duckhunter16 said:
A couple of times this year when i was duck and goose hunting I came in to the preblem of my reeds freezing on my especially well really only on my goose call. So what call would be a good reliable call where I don't have this problem I want a goose flute preferably under 100 dollars?
I really have alot of problems go away with the use of rainx I use that stuff on about everything.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have hunted when it's pretty cold and I've never had a problem with my short reed goose call freezing. Do you use a flute call or a short reed?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
A friend of mine showed me a helpful hint. Try rain-ex, (the stuff you use to keep your windshields nice and clean durring a rain) apply a small amount on your read and it will prevent (not completely eliminate) freeze-ups. It will also prevent the gumming up effect that comes from normal saliva and condensate from your breath. hope this helps. Wings cupped, Pete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts