Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I trained my lab for blind retrieve's. Once I had sit, and stay down( make sure this is done or don't try this, it will frustrate you and your dog) I will have my dog stay on one side of the shed go and throw his tennis ball a short distance, bring him around have em sit point towards the ball and send him for it. Remember to start off with short throw's so when you send the dog he can see what he's going after. Do this for a couple day's then make them a bit longer, and longer. When your comfortable with the dog's progress. Work your throw's into some taller grass, but just on the edge of it so he doesnt have to search to far, or like I did with mine in town where I have no weed's to hide it in, I would hide it behind a tree or something to that effect. What you want to get across to your dog is when you send him in a direction there will be something there for him to bring back to you. Just rember to take it slow and easy, don't confuse the dog by pushing him make it fun for both of you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i used a very similar method with my lab and it works brilliantly. the only thing i can stress is make sure each blind retrieve is successful for the dog.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
that's a great method. I also used a very similar one. It blew me away last fall when she had to do a real blind retreive and ran right to it. As she came back with the bird I was thinking "Holy $h!#, it really works!"

·
Registered
247 Posts
very similar to what my neighbor said.
i personally have two dummies, one i throw out one direction the second i throw in a different direction then have him heal , to sit. we are still working on this (i usually do this at night so he cant see the dummy as easily.) i do this so he will understand to trust me. again im working on it.
but i usually dont call..........dead bird untill he understands to look in the direction i have my hand. sometimes he likes to look in the wrong direction so i wait tillhe lines his head up ........make the call then , send him by name. i am real pleased with him on this.................

this weekend i am going to go the baseball diamond and try what another poster suggested for hand signals............................... :tounge:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.