Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHY DOSNT EVERYONE , POST A QUICK LITTLE REPORT AFTER EACH HUNT SO EVERYBODY KNOWS ABOUT THE INFLUX OF NEW BIRDS ECT ....................JUST AN IDEA ......JMIKE :smile:

·
Registered
345 Posts
daughter and I went out to the river and kicked 30 off a slough. set up 7 ghg hot buys and rigged one as a pull string for her. I picked up my phone to answer call from hunting buddy and looked up to see 2 drakes and one hen mallard flaring off. Had another drake land in the deke's 2 minutes after shooting light. All in all, great day for seeing birds.

0 shots

John

·
Registered
345 Posts
went back to the same spot with a friend. we had widgeon cupped up 6 minutes before shooting light. What a wonderful experience. Unfortunately, the widgeon and mallard that I took got into the fast current and the dog just couldn't catch up. The widgeon that we lost made me sad and the mallard ended the day.

4 shots/ 2 birds/ 0 retreived :oops: :thumbsdown:

John

·
Registered
345 Posts
9 hours driving
$80 on hotel room
5 shovelers, 1 hen mallard, 1 drake goldeneye

16 yr old's first hunt, got the goldeneye :thumbsup:

A storm came through and it got cold!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully thursday will bring another great day.
John

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hit the North Unit at Sauvie Island this morning, but didn't see anything. The fog was thick enough that I could hear geese flying overhead and I sometimes heard ducks winging by, but I didn't see anything. After a few hours, the tide turned and the water drew down, so I left empty handed.

Three trips; no ducks. This is beginning to become a habit!

Has anyone hunted the Sandy River delta yet this year?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bill Monroe had a nice article in the Oregonian this morning. It sounded like all you need to do during the week is show up and ask where to hunt.
:yes: :yes: :yes:

I've never hunted SI, but am willing to try anything once. It will definitely be around the 10:30 hour as I am the kid dropper offer. Good luck to all and keep posting. :thumbsup:

John

·
Registered
345 Posts
got invited to a private pond on the 4th and sat in the blind for 3 hours without seeing a single duck. at 3:40 (yeah, i looked at my watch) a switch was turned on and the birds were moving. The trouble was in getting the birds to a rest pond instead of the flooded corn and millet that they were headed to. I managed to convince one group of mallards to venture over and out of the four, they were all hens. One came home and is sitting in the jerky pile. Birds worked until shooting light was over, but nothing came close enough.

John

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well iv been working so much ive only been out once, we got 2 blue bills , hunted on the colummbia river east of portland , my boat was runnin bad so i didnt do any scouting , got the boat back from shop 300.00 ouch , .................i want to try and hunt down river at the lewis and clark area this coming weekend ...any tip would be great ........mike

·
Registered
345 Posts
I didn't think i'd ever say it, but here it goes.....

hunting in the fog is fun :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I found a sweet little out of the way hole and rigged up a jerk string to a decoy 30 feet from me. As i was looking to the heavens anticipating birds, a mallard drake landed right next to the still moving deke!!!!!

I managed to miss with all three shells :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: and then repeated the travesty on another bird 5 minutes later :pissed:

I left the hole after only hunting for 1/2 hour as I had to get to work so hopefully it will be good before church. Say an extra prayer for me during mass :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

john

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys its been awhile since ive had time , sounds like theres some shooting going on................heres what i know, buddy of mine was at umittila last weekend , these guys are good hunters blind 15 on the river sat , 3 ducks ..........blind 29 sun, 2 ducks .................the good news is we wacked 2 limits saturday morning on the columbia river , down in the knappa area , there are a ton of birds down there , ........was a great shoot considering there wasnt a puff of wind , we got 2 drake mallies, 5 drake greenwings, 7 widgons...........and the best part was my 9 year old lab didnt loose one bird, he has come down with cancer , he missed most of last season, so it was cool to see him in action , the guy who took me was like wow, " i dont even need to watch for ducks your dog sees everything before me "......any how thats whats up for me , been working 6 days a week for the past 6 ...hoping to slow down in december and january ....................mike

·
Registered
345 Posts
wow, it was warm today.

great day to take a kid along, so we took 4 and 6 year old girls out and plied them with hot chocolate and sugar and got 2 1/2 hours out of them. didn't have the chance to pull the trigger, but still had a great time.

John

·
Registered
345 Posts
friday morning was foggy at EE Wilson and the water is scarce.

Saturday started with high hopes at a pond that hadn't been hunted for two weeks. we didn't even see the usual morning flight. the geese were about 15 yds too high and we saw plenty of them, but really no ducks. i'll give it a try again tomorrow before church on the river. BRING ON THE COLD AND RAIN!!!!

john

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
went out this am , on the columbia , me my cousion and his buddy...................buddy got his first bird, drake bufflhead , we also shot 3 bill's , 2 rarher large geese ..........no wind a little fog ....................................boy do we need some weather ...............................jmike

·
Registered
345 Posts
the only good thing about the fog was that is brought the geese down. Managed to get a cackler on the way back to the rig and almost missed church due to the wait time for the check station. there were three hunters in front of me checking their limits of cacklers and lessers.

bring on the rain.

john

·
Registered
345 Posts
made it down to corvallis and 3 of us scratched out 7 birds. teal, and widgeon were the take of the day. two set of widgeon came in and stayed. it had been a long time since I witnessed birds dump into the decoys. very nice.

the jerky pile is growing :mrgreen: :getdown: :mrgreen:

john

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey gys whats up , hunted sauvie 2 times last week, did great , hunted mud 3 two days in a row we shot a total of 22 ducks had to work this weekend but my cousion went to my honey hole on the river they shot 12 birds on sunday morning , were seeing good numbers and some large 20 + bird flocks .....................jmike

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Jmike - man..i probably saw you out there when you were out. i tend to slum around SI alot during the week. they didn't do crap the last two shoot days. mud lake had a total of 15 birds for 34 hunters around 3pm today. no teal had been shot..that's teh difference. we had huge flocks of GW's in here for a couple of weeks.

going to try my hand out there again later this week...probably thursday and saturday. can't wait to see how many people get turned away on saturday for not having their new licenses for 2005. he he he.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wednesday was great with 3 geese, two pintails, and a woodduck for three of us in Hillsboro. The guys said that was the most ducks they have seen all year.

Thursday took some patience, but three greenheads and a woodduck made it through the fog and stayed.

I am envious of those who will brave the weather New Year's Day. I am going cross country skiing with my wife for the first time. This will surely get me some bonus points to use once the ducks arrive. Won't it???? Please????

Happy New Year all.

John :getdown:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
note to hunters...

THERE ARE NO PUDDLE DUCKS ON THE LOWER COLUMBIA RIVER!!

i hunted down on the lewis and clark system friday and managed one widgeon. i spent a good couple of hours driving around in the boat and didn't even jump any up off the islands. there is a rumor that perhaps there are still some birds around Russian island....but i am sure that is just misinformation being spread by hunters in denial.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.