Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of once fired 2 5/8 Cheddite hulls and 3 more flats of unfired shells from a commercial steel load where I live that uses 67mm cases. The hulls are brilliant, clear walled with no writing on them. Looking to adapt a 2 3/4 load so I can get some mileage from them. Will be shooting out of a 2 3/4 inch 1100 but I’ll pattern / chrony from a 14500 psi chamber proof gun in case I screw it up.

ran a few test fits earlier. Tried an HG with 32gns steel. Can get it in and the cases are so nice that they crimp really well but it’s only around 1/24th deep. 1 oz in a BP28 / CSD100 / TWSBL28 fits better with reasonable crimp depth. Might get 35 or 36gns Asteel under that BP28.

I’ve looked at the numbers in terms of volume difference. With a shallow crimp it’s 2 - 2.5% volume change. Really don’t know what the pressure differences are likely to look like with this. Interested in any opinions or experience anyone would like to share.

Definitely one to get tested when all is said and done but want to test something useful!

GL

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I would look to use a 450-470gr load like RSI 65. Plenty of pressure to likely give giod results with slightly shorter hull.

If you have the stuff, I'd just load the HG load but with like 465gr pellets.

Or you could certainly roll crimp them as is and fit the full 9/8oz in there fine, is my guess.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I have a bunch of once fired 2 5/8 Cheddite hulls and 3 more flats of unfired shells from a commercial steel load where I live that uses 67mm cases. The hulls are brilliant, clear walled with no writing on them. Looking to adapt a 2 3/4 load so I can get some mileage from them. Will be shooting out of a 2 3/4 inch 1100 but I’ll pattern / chrony from a 14500 psi chamber proof gun in case I screw it up.

ran a few test fits earlier. Tried an HG with 32gns steel. Can get it in and the cases are so nice that they crimp really well but it’s only around 1/24th deep. 1 oz in a BP28 / CSD100 / TWSBL28 fits better with reasonable crimp depth. Might get 35 or 36gns Asteel under that BP28.

I’ve looked at the numbers in terms of volume difference. With a shallow crimp it’s 2 - 2.5% volume change. Really don’t know what the pressure differences are likely to look like with this. Interested in any opinions or experience anyone would like to share.

Definitely one to get tested when all is said and done but want to test something useful!

GL
I agree with Dave as I shoot that 465 gr / 32 gr A Steel load with 3's ! Out of a LM (.015) constriction it
has served me well from the far North of Sask to the eastern shores of Sea of Cortez and many , many
hunts in between ! Good Luck

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would use a wad without a cushion section like an LBC, 32 grains of powder and as much shot as will fit. And I'd sacrifice pellet count for a good crimp.
You'll likely have a slightly higher psi in a shorter hull over the same load in a longer one, but you're likely going to end up with a lighter load as it is.
I'm sure you'll get a working load.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for some good knowledge and suggestions.

The 465gn load fits well but I had to trim the B&P32 by 1mm to stop it getting folded into the crimp. I could see myself working through a bag of wads in front of the TV but I can also see some overshot cards and making a shell holder tray in my future with a roll crimped load.

I’ll have a look at getting some LBC43. At the moment I have a ton of B&P CSD type wads in various sizes and some SAM1. B&P wads are by far the cheapest at my local supplier though.

A question on roll crimping repeatedly: The hulls are well opened up on the first firing so rolling them shouldn’t be an issue but can they be re-roll crimped after they’ve been shot again if I wanted a couple of loads out of them or do you need a conditioning tool like a spin dr?

GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks all for some good knowledge and suggestions.

The 465gn load fits well but I had to trim the B&P32 by 1mm to stop it getting folded into the crimp. I could see myself working through a bag of wads in front of the TV but I can also see some overshot cards and making a shell holder tray in my future with a roll crimped load.

I’ll have a look at getting some LBC43. At the moment I have a ton of B&P CSD type wads in various sizes and some SAM1. B&P wads are by far the cheapest at my local supplier though.

A question on roll crimping repeatedly: The hulls are well opened up on the first firing so rolling them shouldn’t be an issue but can they be re-roll crimped after they’ve been shot again if I wanted a couple of loads out of them or do you need a conditioning tool like a spin dr?

GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not need to condition them. They’ll roll and load nicer for a few times, compared to the first time roll crimping them. OS card thickness and how tight of a roll will effect the loading.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it seems that I am completely incapable of roll crimping a decent hull! I’ve trashed at least 10 trying to develop this skill and have made no progress using a GAEP OTP RTO tool.

Tried in a drill press and hand drill, various speeds and pressures. Watched instructional videos and still nothing worthwhile. Just dismantled the test loads and reloaded them in separate hulls as the 465 gn load.

Something to look at again in the future but I did not expect such a difficult time of it. If I can stand the shame I’ll post some pictures of the failed attempts on empty hulls.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have both. The roll crimper from Gaep is the OTP GAEP OTP Steel Roll Crimper 12ga - ballisticproducts.com

The fold crimp finishers are known to Gaep as the STP series I think. Gaep also publish a YouTube video showing the OTP forming a roll crimp - but not instructional.

In all honesty, it’s very difficult to tell the difference between them in design other than brass vs steel (the OTP comes in steel also but mine is brass). The OTP comes from the supplier here with a section of appropriate hull that has been rolled by that crimper.

The problem has to be me. I’d like to work out how to do it but for now I’m going to pattern and chrony the 465gn steel #B over 32gn A-Steel load in the 67mm for geese to 40yds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Graylag,
Don't give up, attached is a photo of my first try at the roll crimp. Horrible mess......But practice makes perfect or so I've been told. I found that once fired hulls are pretty much a no go if they were fold crimped, but the guy's on here can walk you thru just about any process. I know they sure helped me.
Have a good day.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I find my Gaep works best with a little lube , I apply it on my fingers and roll the loaded hulls mouth a couple
times around in my fingers . On my Drill-Press I'm running 720 rpms with a (2) stage , once , just touching
the mouth of hull and the (2nd) coming all the way down to the stop-gage . Virtually perfect every time !
Remember Gaep'ing a load increases velocity and pattern consistency , only the patterning board will show
you how much ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find my Gaep works best with a little lube , I apply it on my fingers and roll the loaded hulls mouth a couple
times around in my fingers . On my Drill-Press I'm running 720 rpms with a (2) stage , once , just touching
the mouth of hull and the (2nd) coming all the way down to the stop-gage . Virtually perfect every time !
Remember Gaep'ing a load increases velocity and pattern consistency , only the patterning board will show
you how much ?
The 2 stage technique makes a big difference. Sadly I’m going to have to get / make some sort of conditioner if roll crimping used, previously fold crimped hulls is my aim. I was trashing so many hills practicing that I cut the wrecked part off and rolled the untouched hull portion beneath. The result was good roll turn overs. I’m guessing a better RTO head might do it as well. Quite happy with the 465 gn load for fit and ease of loading. Just need to see if it will do the job.

Thanks for all the advice.

GL

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
When you reach the Maximum effective performance of 465 grs of #3's in steel , pushed by 32 grs of A steel
in a FGM hull , Gaep'ed , Please let me know ! Hunting all over the western hemisphere down including the
Sea of Cortez , I have yet run out of power at a realistic distance shooting !
To me , roll crimping was a waste of time , when the Gaep finishing die came along !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When you reach the Maximum effective performance of 465 grs of #3's in steel , pushed by 32 grs of A steel
in a FGM hull , Gaep'ed , Please let me know ! Hunting all over the western hemisphere down including the
Sea of Cortez , I have yet run out of power at a realistic distance shooting !
To me , roll crimping was a waste of time , when the Gaep finishing die came along !
I’ve seen this post from you before 3200 man. I’m pleased it has ended up in a thread of mine as well!

I completely agree with you. 465 gns is plenty for realistic distances. I’m just exploring an increased pellet count in the 2 5/8 hulls using #B shot for medium geese so that I can take an occasional 30 yard shot at a mallard or a wigeon. I shoot Greylag and Pinkfooted Geese in a local river valley so need my load optimized for that. About every 15-20 shots there will be a duck passing through so was just trying for a few more pellets. I’ve loaded a bunch of 465gn #B over 32 gns A-Steel and I’ll field test them over the next 5 months when the season starts over here in 2 weeks time. Roll crimping is not on my immediate skills to master list. It’ll come back around for me I’m sure…

GL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts