Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i shoot a remington 1100 and hevi-shot #4 all the time. i shoot the factory remington improved cylinder and i was wondering if getting a patternmaster choke or another brand would be benificial?

· Registered
2,183 Posts
MY experinece with them is that they don't shoot like a rifle. They have no constriction (unless a turkey choke). They just slow down the wad so it doesn't mess up your pattern. I borrowed my buddy's SBE when I lost a part to my gun. I used 6 shots to kill 5 ducks and all shots were 10-15 yards. It slays them with 3" 6s.

· Registered
591 Posts
A 70% pattern in 30" at 40 yards is considered a full choke.

I get 73%-90% depending on what load I'm using. I would consider that pretty tight. 10 -15 yards ...if you center them you might as well be shooting a rifle....there shouldn't be anything left of them to eat....not theory , just fact.

· Registered
2,183 Posts
I stand corrected. I read it wrong. Patternmaster delievers full choke performance with no constriction. The ducks I shot that day weren't messed up very bad. May have been the number 6 shots. I am looking at a Light Modified choke.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
NS39340 said:
i shoot a remington 1100 and hevi-shot #4 all the time. i shoot the factory remington improved cylinder and i was wondering if getting a patternmaster choke or another brand would be benificial?
I shoot an 870 with rem chokes. The rem choke is not the best thing in chokes. I am working with hevi #6 and #4 right now to see what is a better patterning choke and at what range. The skeet looks good over decoys and the IC should be fine for me out to 35 or so. I think the LT mod or mod will be best for reasonable distances with the IM for the longer work, but this shouldn't be necessary as the hevi is shooting better than steel and I have never used more than mod for steel. I think I should be able to out do my turkey choke shooting lead with hevi and a full.

I am a believer in extended chokes for ease of removal and better patterning with the extra length and parrallel bore. I think a couple of trulock, seminole or briley chokes would be just the ticket. You can find the trulocks as a couple of sources for mid 20 range. I really don't see the need for a pattern master type choke that is limited as to useful range for the price with the hevi shot. Hevi shot is capable of extreme density patterns and it realy doesn't need a lot of help getting the pattern dense an uniform, IMO.

· Registered
63 Posts
i picked up a cheap aftermarket choke tube in the bargain bin at wally world in the offseason a few years back, just for giggles. it was made by northwind, choked mod-imp. wow. definately did the job in my 835, much better that the factory tubes. think i paid 18 bucks, it outpatterns my buddies expensive one easily. i dont even see em around any more.maybe patternmaster bought em up and shut em down.

· Registered
74 Posts
Patternmaster makes different models for the type of hunting situation. I have a short range model for up to 30 yards and a medium range for 30-45 yards. The original Patternmaster is the very tight shooting model others are talking about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.