Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just built some long line and pull string anchors out of a coffee can and cement. and i guess i underestemated sp? the weight of cement. :oops: they came out more liek a small boat anchor then decoy anchors. i just used a eye bolt cement adn a coffe can i thought about doing the same idea but with a smaller coffee can or i also thought about because of how big adn bulky the coffee can is i should use a muffin tin and melt lead. is there any other way that i dont know of to make a small yet somewhat heavy anchor. im lookin at liek 2 pounds or so. thanks for any imput adn ideas :salude:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
"67" is right....but what FUN is that???

If you want to make your own ....the large muffin tins are excellent....about 2.5 to 3 lbs....which is ideal for small lines or calm water....great for holding large goose dekes in a current, ice flows or tide etc.....I get the large aluminum ones ...2 for a buck....I use free discarded wheel weights and even though the lead is not pure - who cares since they are a solid block....heavy guage wire loops and are a sinch to attach a snap to from the line....you can pour a dozen in less than an hour and I use a small smelter...once it gets going it melts the lead quickly....so a dozen 3 pounders for a dollar!

·
Registered
211 Posts
cabelas sells float tube anchors for dirt cheap pick up a few of them they have 3 different sizes the medium one is great for longlines on lakes and the large one is excelent for bays and ocean. and they fold up to the size of a 20 oz soda bottle

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
just picked up a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights this morning....most of course will be for weighting keels, but I am sure I will be pouring some 3 pounders over the summer

TIP....when melting lead, do it is a well ventilated area...the fumes are toxic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.