Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My granddaughter, who is the only person who likes watching ducks as much as me.

As usual, the Hooded Merganser were here first. 10 Nov is rather late compared to previous years.

I had thought the smaller birds were hen bufflehead. I thought it was odd that there was not at least one drake buffie with them.

Upon closer exam with the pics, I think the smaller birds are Ruddy Duck.

Be safe.
Paul

Below: the drake have their tufts back when eating/Swimming. When they move away and start playing with the ladies, those cool round tufts come out. These guys may be lousy table fare, but they're fun to watch
Water Bird Beak hooded merganser Lake

The smaller birds might be Ruddy duck. You can only see the small sprig on the last one to the right, but hey all had them. Check out duck ID.....not all Ruddy's have that bright blue beak. All of the ones I have shot in Carteret and Onslow County have been brown and white with grayish beaks
Water Bird Ducks, geese and swans Waterfowl Lake

·
Registered
4 Posts
My mistake I thought that’s what you were talking about. In the first picture I only see two hooded mergansers. It is super cool that your granddaughter likes to watch the ducks with you those sure are some pretty birds and you guys will love having those memories forever

·
Registered
2 Posts
My mistake I thought that’s what you were talking about. In the first picture I only see two hooded mergansers. It is super cool that your granddaughter likes to watch the ducks with you those sure are some pretty birds and you guys will love having those memories forever
Definitely buffleheads; hens and immature drakes alike for their first year.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Saw them again today….low light before I went to work so I cannot be certain what those smaller birds were…..but I’m now leaning more toward hen bufflehead. For the life of me, I have never seen a group of bufflehead without at least one black and white drake. But I didn’t see any sprigs so I’m going back to buffies. DU migration map (which I have little faith in) reporting Ruddy’s on the coast

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And on cue, as if they read our discussion, the drakes showed up. Yes, they were hen buffies re: our discussion above. I still maintain that it is odd to see a group of hens (for days at a time) without seeing drakes with them. I went back and looked through 15 years of photos of birds out back.........I cannot find one picture of groups of buffies without both!
Good luck tomorrow. Bring a dry bag.......if someone gets wet, be ready.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts