Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See what we get out of this.

What kind of Wild animals have you had the Pleasure of Holding?

Not in a Zoo, Could be in the Wild, but needs to be a Wild Animal.

I'll post mine later, want to see what some of the Different ones are!

I got a Few!

Some are Neat, Some are Ugly, some are down right Stinky, Almost all of them could had Rabies, if they had come into contact with another animal that had it, Some Flew, ALL Were Released Back into the Wild, Except 2!

· Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I did not really hold it, but when I was a kid we went camping at a camp ground out here and the skunks were semi-tame. They would walk under your camp stool while your sitting around the fire. You could hang your hand down and feel the top of them as they went under the stool looking for pop corn or chips or what ever we dropped for them.

· Registered
2,690 Posts
A few snakes (garters), turtles, fish, salamanders, mice, chipmunks and some small birds. Most of them reptilian I guess. the birds were Chickadees or something. Ask how many dead animals I've had to take care of (not including the ones taken intentionally) It's been quite a few for them too.

Does it count when squirrels climb on you in your deer stand? I usually don't try to mess with them if I am not trying to hunt them. Just let them get bored and leave so as not to spook a deer. --That reminds me, an outdoor show we have here called Minnesota Bound had a story about a guy whose ATV attracted a grouse. (the putt-putt sounds liek a grouse drumming) The grouse would jump on his shoulder, peck his ear and even hung out on his gun during deer season (he had to shake it off, but still got his deer).

· Registered
1,708 Posts
All kinds of fish and ducks, copperheads, cottonmouths, garter snakes, hog nosed snakes, pilot snakes, alligator snapping turtle, common snapping turtles, red-eared turtles, a couple different species of box turtles, soft shell turtles, baby flying squirrel, toads, frogs, salamanders, crawdads, white-tipped reef shark, a stargazer, sea turtle, wild hermit crabs, horseshoe crabs, etc. I'm sure there are quite a few more that I can't remember. Growing up on the Arkansas River backwaters can get you in touch with some cool things if you're brave/stupid enough to pick them up.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
A wild black lab and yellow lab pup. Kidding aside. Ever try holding onto a "hellbender"? They are big azz slimey salamanders. I rescued a baby rabbit that was stuck by my house. But I think finding "Walking Sticks" (insect) in the woods is the coolest thing I have ever found in the wild that I picked up. I wont count frogs, toads, snakes, baby chipmonks, (I dont care if I spelled it wrong). I caught (helped) a humming bird and let it go.
I won't include a 32'' walleye that I ate after I caught it.

· Registered
1,896 Posts
gsphunter said:
I even held a hummingbird one time. You don't even realize how small they are until they stop flapping their wings and are laying in your hand.
Me 2, one got in the garage and I grabbed it while it was hitting the window trying to get out.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! Didn't give much thought to Snakes Lizards and Such....Was thinking more along the lines of Furry Critters and Birds.

Guess, Lizards, Turtles, Salimanders and Snafu's Hellbender Count! :thumbsup:

Snafu, Them Hellbenders are one Ugly Lizard/Salimander/What ever they are classified as!

My List.

Raccons
Possum
Fawns
Coyote
Hawks, which would include...Kestrals, Coppers, Redtail
Owls-Saw whet, Barn,Screech, Great Horn.
The Great Horns Won me a Plauge and Trophey in our Arts Photo Contest in High School(first place) and It went on to the County Art Show (third place) which put me into the state Art Show, were i placed 25 out of 150 Entries.

Snakes-Rattle,Copperhead,black,garder,ringneck,Albino Rattler
Flying Squirrels
Gray Squirrel
Skunk
Countless Different Song birds
Never had the pleasure to hold a Humming Bird, Watched my Cousin set 1 day with a Trumpetor Vine Flower in his Mouth till a Humming Bird came to it and fed from it.

Out of all, the Possum and Coyote and 1 Red Tail Hawk were the only ones Not Released Back into the Wild.
My Brother had all 3. He was a Wild life Rehabilitator. The possum, he raised from a Very Small baby. Can't remember exactly what the estimated Age was when he got it, but it was only about 3 inchs long, he had to bottle feed it and carry it around in his Coat Pocket.
It ended up Dieing from being Over Weight!

The Coyote thought he was a Dog from being raised with them from 3 weeks of age!

The Red Tail went to a Zoo here in PA due to not being able to fly. was shot in the Wing, was operated on and the operation didn't work!

I Wish I could add a Bear to my list! I'd Love to Tag along with the Bear Biologest here in PA and help pull Sows and Cubs from the Dens in Winter Time to Weigh and tag them!

Geese and Ducks, Can't forget them! Helped Band them a time or 2.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.