Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started FF a little over a week ago doing 3, 7-15 min sessions a day. My question is should I ever introduce new objects other than a bumper into the training, and if so when?
Thanks, Dave

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
When I FF my Dawgs I use everything at my disposal from wings to 4X4's, tin cans, ducks, geese, shoes, firewood, hammers etc. :eek: :yes:

·
Registered
279 Posts
stingray said:
I started FF a little over a week ago doing 3, 7-15 min sessions a day. My question is should I ever introduce new objects other than a bumper into the training, and if so when?
Thanks, Dave
Dave,

You're certaily free to have your dog fetch everything in sight. I've never subscribed to the practice. There are several reasons for this.

First, like most dog trainers I find myself continually wanting for more time, space, and resources for my training. Using my time wisely is essential. I don't think time spent having my dogs fetch objects he won't be retrieving routinely is important enough to merit the effort.

I don't think it adds anything of value to the overall process. Nothing.

I prefer to focus on the highest standards of having the dog fetch the objects he will be retrieving routinely, and spending the time needed on that.

To each his/her own.

EvanG

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
EvanG said:
I don't think time spent having my dogs fetch objects he won't be retrieving routinely is important enough to merit the effort.

I don't think it adds anything of value to the overall process. Nothing.

EvanG
I disagree. I don't often disagree with an expert, but this time I will.

My wife and I both teach Boomer to fetch up our shoes, boots, (He knows the difference) slippers,TV remotes, cigarettes, lighters, etc.
He gets the mail, he helps with the laundry, (fetches cloths out of the basket to the wife) he'll also stands up and put cloths in the washer.

The more you teach your Dawg, the more your Dawg is able to learn. It expands the brain, just like in children.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bryan,

In principle I agree with your premise of a more thorougly trained dog. But what does fetching all those extraneous items do to promote a better force fetched duck dog? Honestly, I've never hunted slippers or newspapers.

As I said, it's a personal decision if you want your dog to fetch other objects. I just don't think it adds anything to the training of a working retriever.

EvanG

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
I guess I can narrow it down to this :

My Dawgs are more to me than a tool that are to be used 3 months out of the year to retrieve my birds.
They're part of my family and are a joy to have around, and to be around.
In addition,,, My wife and I just love to watch the expression on our friends and families faces when they see what the Dawgs are capable of doing.

It's just my choice, and well worth the little bit of extra effort.

BTW, Boomer has to hunt up the paper every day cuz the paper girl can't hit the same spot two times in a row ! :tongue:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definitely see both these sides but like brydog I only use my dog to hunt 3 months out of the year, also today I used a can of busch on a hold drill and noticed when I went back to using the bumper he had a much firmer grip and wasnt rolling it. being a college student I have a lot of time and can take it, but I can see how being a trainer you have specific goal to reach and a time frame to do it in.
Thanks again for the input Dave

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Being a Pro Trainer and doing Seminars, I'm sure Evan would like to have an extra hour or two added on to his training days.
Me, I'm a Taxidermist, working out of my home, and with the Economy the way it is, my business is about half of what it's been in the past, so I've got lots of time for the "Novelty" training.
If you've got the time and a Dawg that likes to learn, you'll be amazed at what you can teach em',,, and so will your College friends.

P.S. That Busch Beer probably made him cringe,,,,, see how he does with a real beer ! :tongue:

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Got a Joke for ya'.....
I poured some Busch beer into a plastic container and sent it to the lab to see just what it was made of.
The scientist wrote me back and told me my horse had Hepatitis. :biggrin:

Bottoms up ! :rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts