Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
People are dumb. Just plain dumb.. But no I don't carry a gun, because its illegal here is AR to have one on school property, even if you have concealed LIC

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Teachers should not carry guns. That won't solve the problem. And I personally will never carry a gun. It's very sad that this is becoming such a common occurence, but arming the masses won't stop it. I went to school at NIU for a time and my thoughts are with the victims and their families.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
orangefoot said:
What is wrong with people these days? :no: Schools used to be one of the safest places for kids to be now its one of the most dangerous. :no:

My prayers go out to everyone in those shootings.
Tragic and on the news because it can be. Not to stir things up but school shootings are down from a high of 42 in 1992 to 2 in 2002 up to 13 in 2005, the latest I could find stats for. That stat comes from www.youthviolence.edschool.virginia.edu. There was an uptick in the late 90's attributed to copycats. No explanation for the rise from 2002-2005.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
More news outlets now, YouTube, internet. I teach and can tell you if there is a fight in the hallway it's on YouTube by 5PM. Also, a lot of schools have fulltime sworn officers who write reports on everything. Keeps them off road patrol and in a warm building with young female teachers.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
rmh said:
orangefoot said:
What is wrong with people these days? :no: Schools used to be one of the safest places for kids to be now its one of the most dangerous. :no:

My prayers go out to everyone in those shootings.
Tragic and on the news because it can be. Not to stir things up but school shootings are down from a high of 42 in 1992 to 2 in 2002 up to 13 in 2005, the latest I could find stats for. That stat comes from www.youthviolence.edschool.virginia.edu. There was an uptick in the late 90's attributed to copycats. No explanation for the rise from 2002-2005.
When I said 'such a common occurance' I didn't just mean shootings in schools. I meant shootings like this in all similar public places. There was a big one at a mall here in Omaha recently too. It's true that there were more actual school shootings in the early 90's. They were at inner city schools for the most part and instead of arming the teachers they started installing metal detectors in huge numbers. The shooting dropped off SIGNIFICANTLY. Most troubled schools continue the practice to this day and it might be time to make it more of a mandatory thing at schools in general. The shootings recently seem to be at more privileged schools and universtities and are sadly getting much more press. It only serves to continue the trend at those schools.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.