Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a male wood duck tonight! I always knew they were beautiful but to actually hold a still warm one in my hand was unbelievable.

Anyhow, how should I go about freezing this thing until I can afford to have it mounted? How long will it last in the freezer?

Jeff

· Registered
1,621 Posts
i just freeze the bird with the head straight out. wings closed and feet tucked in.i wrap mine with 2 good trash bags.i have had some 6 months before going to taxidermist. be careful with it or the head will brake off.

· Registered
14 Posts
I dont know if its too late now, but you should wipe all the blood from the bird before you freeze it too. I would suggest wrapping the entire bird, head and all. You should see if your tax. will take payments--(sounds redneckish, but he may) then you could take it to him now and let him freeze it.--thats what i do. hope this helps ya!...........C-yunz round :salude:

· Registered
352 Posts
So.Dak.Hunter said:
I shot a male wood duck tonight! I always knew they were beautiful but to actually hold a still warm one in my hand was unbelievable.

Anyhow, how should I go about freezing this thing until I can afford to have it mounted? How long will it last in the freezer?

Jeff
Simple way is to place the bird in a nylon then put it in a plastic bag you can even double bag it .Just make sure you do something with it within 2yrs or it will freezer burn to bad to mount .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.