Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you will get a louder sound out of an acrylic but love the looks of a nice cocobola call. Is the difference really that noticeable? I bought an Echo open water call in cocobola and it seems pretty dang loud to me. I just want to know how much of an advantage you can have with an acrylic. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
some of the most "ducky" calls on the planet are wood. You know of the disadvantage of tone change do to the elements. They are more mellow in sound. I have blown a few wood calls like a hedge Doa Xtreme that had all the volume of most any acrylic I have blown. Acrylic is crisper, but ducks aren't always crisp in sound. I prefer acrylic most of the time, but I always have a wood call on my string. The other thing wood calls are more resistant to the sticking problems that happen from condesation or saliva.

oh yah and natural wood is purdy.

Bret

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
agreed. i started out with the acrylics, but quickly changed to wood. i just couldn't get a soft ducky tone out of the plastic calls and tended to scare off more working birds than i landed. being that i like to shoot ducks at distances better measured in feet instead of yards...being able to talk to them in close is vital to me. wood calls let me do just that.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
i don't have any experience w/wood calls. by some of the responses in this thread, it looks like i need to invest in one. i guess i have to hear it to believe it, but i can't imagine how a call could sound any more "ducky" than the acrylics i have used/heard. any recommendations on a good one?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Like everyone else said. The wood calls are more mellow and do swell/shrink with the humidity changes. I hunt with acrylic calls because I know that call will make the sound I want when I want it no matter the weather. With that said I have recently discovered the best of both worlds..... Acrylic impregnated wood calls. The sound and reliability of acrylic with the good looks of wood.

yeller

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can't get one to stay in tune. They seem like they change sounds with the seasons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.