Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started longlining for puddlers those sea duck hunters have it figured it out on how to set piles of decoys in a hurry I bought some kits to set this up on ebay. My question is,does anybody else use longlines on thier puddler decoys.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Tried it when I lived in CT. They didn't buy it. Puddlers come in higher and think they saw the line.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dissagree with the duck not coming in they drop right into my spread just as they al ways have. Althuogh I dont zet mine in strait lines I use lots of anchors to make my decoys gop in different directions, they dont look strait at all.back to my original question does any body else long line for puddlers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Long Lining aka Gang Rigs:

Terminology:
Anchor Line: This is the line that is connected to the anchor and the hard line.
Hard Line or Main Line: The line that you clip decoys to.
Drops: These are the lines that have a clip on one end and the decoy on the other.

Here's how I do it:

I use 50 foot of 1/4 inch Stiff Braid Nylon line for my hard lines...... Bought from Decoy Rigs in Indiana. It's expensive...... $180.00 for 1000 foot, but I find that it is well worth the price since it's about the stiffest line you can find.
On each end of the hard line there is a bolt snap with swivel....... bought from Walmart in packs of 2 for about $1.00.
I use 25' of Diamond Braid for each anchor line..... bought from Walmart in 100 foot package.
On one end of the anchor line I have a 1 1/4 inch split ring or you could also use a solid ring...... bought from Decoy Rigs.
On the other end of the anchor line I have an anchor. Alot of my anchors are home-made 5 pound H-style anchors and then I also have some 2 pound H-style anchors. Each anchor line is wrapped around the anchor and half hitched around one of the ears on the H-style anchor. They are then placed in a plastic milk crate.

Each decoy is rigged with an Avery Gang Rig Clip and 12 inches of tarred nylon twine. I put one end of the twine through the swivel on the clip and then bring the ends of the twine together. I then tie a knot, tying both ends in an over-hand knot. This will make a loop..... sorta like a bracelet. I slide the swivel and clip down to the knot. I fold the other end of the line as to almost crease it and push it through the line tie hole on the keel and then pull until it stops from hitting the clip. I open up the line that I pulled through the line tie hole and put the clip through the open line and pull. Now you have removable rigging which is nice if the decoys gets shot too bad to patch. You can just take the rigging off and put it on a new decoy. Your line will now be folded in half so you actually only have a 6 inch drop.

I now clip each decoy to the hard line about 12 per line. I place one end of the line in a bag and feed it(line decoys and all) into the bag until I get to the other end. I then clip this end to the edge of the bag. Close the bag shut.

I load my milk crate in the boat and each bag that I plan on using for the day. When we get to where we are going to hunt I grab a 5 pound anchor out of the milk crate undo the half hitch depending on water depth. I then clip one end of the hard line to the ring on the anchor line and toss the anchor out. I just feed the line out until I get to the other end. I then clip a 2 pound anchor on this end and undo the half hitch depending on water depth. Throw the anchor in the water.
We do this over and over until we have our lines out. If we have a wind that will carry the boat we use this to our advantage and put the lines out while the wind lets us drift down. If a line is not in the place where we want it we grab the upwind anchor(5 pounder) and pull it to where it needs to be dragging the whole long line rig behind the boat.

Please note that my rigs aren't dog friendly nor prop friendly. My rigs are built for speed of deployment. It takes awhile to get used to and you can't hunt a dog over it. It also helps that the boat driver knows how to drive a boat.

Some guys use #120 tarred twine for the hard line. They say this is just almost shy of a 1/4 inch, but I have never used it.

Some guys use 36 inch drops. Dogs and most props can go over this. I have used this method but find it to be a pain. I figure what's the use of using a long line if you have to wrap 3 foot of line in the first place. Alot of the water we hunt is about 3 foot, but there are times that we hunt 20 foot of water.

Some guys just clip the decoys on when they are putting the lines out. They normally use buckets are spools to store their lines. I find this to be a pain too.

Some guys use cheap weights from Wal-Mart for their anchors and some guys use window sash weights. With this you have to have a place to put your anchor lines.

Some guys swear by what they are doing and that's fine. I have tried several different ways before I finally came up with something I could live with. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
10Ga,
I appreciate the thought, but there is no way I would use that system. The line looks way too thin for me. I want the thickest I can get without going too overboard. 1/4 inch line gives me this.
The idea of putting a plastic sleeve over the dropper line is a good idea, but that's about the only thing I saw that I liked about the system. I think TSC sells that kind of hose in small diameter.
I like the clips I have better than what I saw on that site.
With that system you still have to clip them on each time out, so that's a strike against it.

I have been at this awhile and have tried lots of rigs before deciding with what I have. :thumbsup:
I do appreciate the input though.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
To the original question (does anyone else use long lines for puddlers?) I have been thinking about this to speed thing up, but am concerned about how dog friendly they are or arn't. I mostly hunt in 18" to 3" of water. Does anyone have any comments to how a dog gets around them, longer znaps(18"), more weights between decoys, anything at all that will help push me one way or another. Also visibility, i know 10ga doesn't think that the ducks can see his rigs, but i hunt in some clear ponds sometimes, just wonderin.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I would be breaking my rig down daily. And carting it in to and out of the marsh. I hunt mostly in the refuges here. So i am concerned with speed of getting out to my spot and speed of setting up. right now i am pretty fast, but you can always be faster.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I longline all the time for puddlers and don't see a difference in the way the birds are working (I too live in Connecticut). The key is to break it up with some singles and give yourself space between the birds along the line. I will also run a line with 2 or 3 deks and only weight one end of the line and allow the deks to move freely without touching the mother line. You do need to be careful with your dogs. I only use 6-8 iches of line on the deks to attach to the mother line; I think its more dangerous for the dog when you use 3 feet (more line for the dog to get in trouble). I usually run my motherline on the outside of where I'll be shooting and try to drop the birds inside the hole.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, I use long lines.....but I am hunting big water and laying out anywhere from 6 to 10 dozen dekes. As for the question about dog friendly, I would say no to 18 inches of water and yes to about 5 foot of water. We rigged ours up using trot lines(tarred) and they work great. On each line we usually rig out 2 dozen dekes with another dozen to break up the "line" It really works great here, especially on public land.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.