Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have scouted a few but have not hunted, there were good numbers opening weekend and that was about it. I have a lease east of Tulsa and after the first 2 weekends we have been dry of birds as well. A buddy of mine went out last weekend on public, didn't see much. A couple of buddies hunted a private spot they have East of Tulsa that usually produces well, only had 2 small groups of teal show up. We need cold weather up North in a baadd way. Wish they'd have left the season dates as is.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Very very few birds. Even on private. Slow slow slow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been pretty fortunate and have got limits or pretty close every hunt except for 2 and on both of those I had scouted a couple of days before the hunt and had found birds but they did a disappearing act in between the scout and hunt day. Had a little push of mallards it seemed last week after that snow out west

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Specklebelly said:
Don't give up guys, they will come!
I keep saying "come on January 1st!"

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Old thread but to add a bit of perspective, the 2020-2021 season was not only the worst (bird numbers) for me since 1967 but also for a couple other long-time (40+ seasons) guys as well. Eastern Oklahoma has lost up to 92% of its acreage under cultivation in several critical counties since ~2000 (especially with the precipitous decline of peanut farming), the loss of the ODWC millet planting program on Kaw Reservoir and the higher water conditions on Eufaula during the millet planting window have all been (IMO) significant factors in the current situation. The flight appears to have moved to the western part of the state where farming is still significant.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yuchi1 said:
Old thread but to add a bit of perspective, the 2020-2021 season was not only the worst (bird numbers) for me since 1967 but also for a couple other long-time (40+ seasons) guys as well. Eastern Oklahoma has lost up to 92% of its acreage under cultivation in several critical counties since ~2000 (especially with the precipitous decline of peanut farming), the loss of the ODWC millet planting program on Kaw Reservoir and the higher water conditions on Eufaula during the millet planting window have all been (IMO) significant factors in the current situation. The flight appears to have moved to the western part of the state where farming is still significant.
Cobb has lost of the peanut farming too, I think most of them are switched to cotton.

Why did the ODWC stop millet at Kaw? Surely they have enough money with all the license sales the last few years.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
ODWC did not stop the program.

Someone at the COE did.

Reason used was the Mitigation Study had not been completed.

It takes three (3) years and $50K+ to facilitate.

A client was in my office a year later and I mentioned it to him. He stated that the study had in fact, been done and was on file in the D. C. office of the COE. He is a (retired) Environmental Biologist with the COE's Tulsa office and was in charge of the original study. Something else is apparently in play and it makes you wonder if PETA has infiltrated the COE, given some of their positions against sportsmen the past few years.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yuchi1 said:
The flight appears to have moved to the western part of the state where farming is still significant.
I agree with this on ducks but I would also argue dark geese have moved out of western Oklahoma and taken over by those darned snows. I hunt west for geese hard every year and the last two have been beyond frustrating, nothing but whites and a rare dark flying with them. I hate whites, they are too smart for this Okie.

Maybe it is just where I hunt but since the big drought it has never been the same. Had a good early season three years ago but not like it was the previous 20 years before we went dry.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
IIRC, the tree ring study (~14 years ago) done by the young grad student indicates that drought (west of Tulsa) will become the norm rather than the exception and measured in decades rather than years.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the problem is a bit simpler. Weather patterns have changed, and migratory animals are adjusting. Why waist calories flying further than you need to. Last couple years I have been hunting in short sleeves mostly. Yes, there are planting differences, and that has an effect, but it isn't as if the ducks can just wholly skip the entire state during their migration. If liquid water/food/mates are around up north, why keep flying south? Do you just up and leave the bar at midnight when a girl is interested in you because you and your buddies left the bar at midnight the night before?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.