Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody but me pattern their duck gun? If you have never I suggest you do it. Had the Xtrema since June 2002. Never patterned it with goose loads until last week. Every load I shot had huge holes in the pattern except one. Federal Ultrashocks patterned the best with estate's coming in a distance second. Pattern your gun and you may be suprised on what patterns better.

What loads shoot best out of everyone else's guns?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought kent would be the stuff. Left a huge hole right in the center of my pattern. If I was dead on then the bird would live. Also put most of the pellets up and to the right. Federal had a wonderful pattern out of my gun. I really suggest you shot your favorite duck load and see how it patterns. I think the results may suprise you.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yellow,
I have seen identical guns with identical chokes and loads pattern drastically differently from each other. The only way to know for sure is to do it for yourself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I patterned my Rem. 1100 today with Winchester #2s 1 1/16 oz load. I was truely amazed at the pattern @35 yards. I took a sheet of news paper and I taped a 8 1/2 X 11 inch typing paper in the center to represent my aiming point. I pulled the trigger and wow', I counted 25 holes in the typing paper and a nice pattern around it in the news paper! I then opened a new shell with my knife a carefully counted the steel inside. I found exactly 117 pellets. The most shocking thing was the size and the shape of the steel. Some of them were twice as large as the smallest and all were mishapen. I still cannot talk trash about the shells because they have done a nice job for me on all three trips with quick kills and good decent range on fly-by woodies'. perhaps I will try some of the good stuff for this gun ( fed #2s at 1 1/4 oz ) but at 5 bucks a box cheaper I suspect that I will keep shooting the winchesters until the ducks have seen shooters well into the december season. Then perhaps I will change over. :salude:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My problem came when I was dead on and the bird wouldn't get smoked. The pattern was way off with that shell. When I went to cheap stuff was my downfall. Federal Ultrashocks from here on out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.