Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duck season opened 7 days ago here in Nebraska and the only ducks I,ve seen are local and them's mighty hard to come by! Havn't even seen many teal and we are usually overun with them by now. If anybody can help it'ed be appreciated. Thanx.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Here are the 2 likely scenarios.

1st is that there will be a significant decrease in your area of migrating birds. Remember the overall bird count is lower than a year go. But the real point is the droughts north of you. It is very dry in the western plains again this year. Thus many ducks are way east where it is wetter. An example is AB and MB--worlds apart in precipataion. AB is dry with drought while MB is way too wet. The fowl go where the water is plain and simple.

2nd is that there is very little migration yet. In W MN it was a very poor weekend 5 birds for 17 guys on Sat from 1 report. They just are no new birds from up north yet here much less 400 miles SW of there. But watch this week-as there is to be a major cool down in the northern areas-highs in the 40s, that'll move some birds I bet, but where they migrate to is another story in itself....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am orginally from central nebraska in the sandhills area. I am now in california in the san jaquin valley. I have been out here for the past five years. I am trying to get into hunting ducks and pheasant. I have to go thourgh and learn the regulations and laws of california. It is alot different from nebraska hunting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The teal appear to be starting to move out of east central Wisconsin. I saw many of them in several places up until last weekend Oct 10&11. This week so far I haven't been seeing them on the ponds the were on last week. These are ponds that don't get any hunting pressure so I don't think that is an issue. It's been warm this fall and is only now begining to really cool off. We just had a good frost two nights in a row...near ice on my windshield in the morning.

I hunted upper Michigan for the Sep 25 opener and here in Wisconsin since. I have not seen any sign of the main migration yet.

I also read on a website that the harvest is late in Canada. This coupled with the warm weather is keeping many birds from heading south. Plenty of food and a warm place to sleep, what more could a duck ask for.

I agree the cold front moving through this week will stir things up a little. As long as it gets cold enough up north to move those birds off the Canadian farm fields.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in south eastern saskatchewan (Can.). We have many teals widgeon and gadwall pintail more than I've seen the last few years however the birds are slow with migration yet they r just startin so wait a couple more weeks and they will be there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.