Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have had a brittany for about a year- year in april- and it is a excellent pointer for grouse and pheasants- but i was wondering about training it for duck hunting. I know not many brittanys like the water- but this one loves the water. I am in college right now but my younger brother loves to duck hunt more than grouse- so he would like to train it.

So any tips would be great.

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
138 Posts
Phil,

It's my understanding that brittanys can make for passable waterfowl retrievers as long as you keep in mind that they are not very cold water tolerant. Long retrieves in icy cold water would be extremely hard on them . That's not to say they couldn't or wouldn't make the retrieve it's just that the cold would really take its toll on the little fellas paving the way for some very dangerous situations.

Having said that, I hear they are ideal (as long as their behavior is in check) for jump shooting wooded streams should your upland haunts have one on it. Hope this helps.

Aaron

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello thanks for the tip-
you ever train brittanys? or know anyone i could talk to about some other tips.

Yeah there fur is not that thick and i guess would become cold in cold water pretty quick.

Well thanks for the information any other information would be helpful-

Thanks everyone for information,

Mnduckhunter

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I duck hunt all the time with a Boykin and have for years. For arguments sake, there is not too much difference in hunting ducks with a Brit vs a Boykin. It should be just fine. I know of people from Montana to Wisconsin and Minnesota that duck hunt with their boykins or their AWS and they do just fine. He may be an old timer, but check out a book by Ken Roebuck. He is an old time Spaniel/Flushing dog trainer and does detail coverage of training the spaniels for waterfowl hunting. The biggest thing is training them to be steady to shot and not breaking on you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

how do you teach a brit to calm down. He is only a year old. That is probably the first step. He retreives fine. However i need to teach him to retreive in the water and stay calm.

Alrighty,

Thanks everyone.

Ill check out that book to- any other tips from others on good books or just personal tips, or good equipment to use.

MNduckhunter

·
Registered
138 Posts
The calming thing...is this dog a house dog or kennel kept ?

Either way it needs to spend a great deal of time just sharing space with you. That excitement your seeing is mostly the result of you being present.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it is kennel kept for most of the day and then my brother comes home from school and takes him for a walk or let him run around outside. Then his in in the house around us.

Anything more we should do- spend more time with him, your saying the excitement is from, not seeing me for a while and then seeing me.

Thanks arron and everyone else. This is helping keep it coming :),

MNduckhunter

·
Registered
138 Posts
Exactly...you have to spend time with them. For what it's worth ,my labs are the same way. When I first step into the backyard after being at work all day or letting them into the house at night , you can forget getting any kind of good behavior out of them. But,after they have settled down, then I can get them to do anything. And if we have been working all day, then they behave like yellow and black angels !! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha yeah angels :)

yeah thanks- just got to get them to settle down a little. That sounds easy... haha not. But i guess all you need to do is give them the care they need and deserve.

You advise a calming period before you start training them?

Thanks again for the information.

Mduckhunter

·
Registered
233 Posts
Britts are used for duck dogs---They are also accepted as a versatile breed through NAVHDA. As far as the calming down goes---Thats going to be obedience.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright one more question,

My brit, as most is a pointer, with becoming a duck hunting dog also, will that wreck the pointer in him? Or are they able to know both, and remember all- haha well dogs are bright animals.

Thanks,

MNduckhunter

·
Registered
233 Posts
Brits are versatile dogs. They have no problem switching from one thing to another. If you are expecting to take your brit out and think that he is going to perform like a vetern you are going to be dissapointed. Just like anything else you are going to have to train for it----More than likely you are going to have to force fetch your dog also. I would suggest you get onto the NAVHDA site and go to a meeting near you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrighty-

Thanks for the site ill check that out and definetly check out a meeting near me. I need all the help i can get with training and everything.

Thanks,

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your location says florida. I moved from florida about 8mo ago. If you can get with the FL palmetto chapter they are all VERY nice and VERY helpfull.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello- Thanks,

How would i go about getting with the Florida Palmetto group?

Actually my dog is back in Minnesota with my Family- but i am sure i could get some tips and training from them.

Thanks for your help.

MNduckhunter

·
Registered
233 Posts
Go to NAVHDA.ORG. Then go to to the link that says find a chapter(or something close to that) and there will be contact info there. I know that they have a test coming up soon. It would be really good if you could either go to the training day or go to test its self.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the site and info.

What is the test?

Thanks,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Closest Chapter to me in Florida is up in Cocoa Beach. Like an hour away.

But ill check it out and see if i can get to a few meetings.

Thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.