Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a gun show last year i bought a SKB semi-auto with engraving on ech side- on side ducks and on pheasant..

Looked really nice and have worked unbelievable for me- no jamming or anything.

I was wodnering if anyone has ever heard of this type, because i have never heard anything about it.

Good things about it, or bad let me hear them

Thanks

· Registered
2,392 Posts
A lot of them around. Their O/U's are OK and basically the same as a Weatherby. The autos are OK at least I haven't heard any thing but the typical I love it I hate it you always get from the masses with any auto.

· Registered
445 Posts
made for ithaca by SKB....model XL 900. this is my main gun for 20 + years. i don't know what you would like to know about them...since you have had it for a year, i assume you know how to adjust the gas ports for 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells. also, assume you know the trick to remove the bolt/firing pin from the receiver. barrels are chrome lined, relatively extreme forcing cone....less than one inch forcing cone...need to be lengthened for decent patterns over 30 yards. also parts are tough to come by. no real mystery gun....maintain them and they work fine. is yours a 12 guage ???

· Registered
445 Posts
i have one more comment to add to my previous comment. the parts that are a little hard to come by are the wood stocks and the barrels. if you have an XL model, the XL stands for extra lite. you, no doubt realize that these are very lite guns. the barrels are also very lite. they are not designed to shoot steel shot (which does not compress like lead). these barrels tend to split with large ounce loads of steel.

parts are available at the web site shown above in a previous post. in addition, ron sharp in dunnville ontario has lots of parts....sharps gun service...he was a skb warranty shop in previous years...the auto loaders were first offered in 1971...before steel shot was an issue. i personally have never had any issues with steel shot but i only shoot 1 ounce loads of steel in a 20 gauge.

· Registered
52 Posts
Ive used a skb 500 u/o for thr last 20 yr great gun ,just upgaded to browning gold fusion . My friend has a 1900 auto and has just sent it away after 18yr to get new barrel 3" chamber to use steel loves it .

:getdown:

· Registered
2,760 Posts
SKB used to make some double guns for Ithaca. I believe , although not 100% sure, that they are a Japanese company. They are very well made and handle as nice as any of the upper end guns.

· Registered
445 Posts
ithaca gun company marketed guns for SKB until a reorganization in 1986-7. SkB Sports Inc in wheeling, illinois than went bankrupt in 1980. Now the New SKB Arms Company is out of tokyo, Japan.

the auto you have came in 2 forms. the 300XL and the 900 XL were gas operated semi-autos. the 300 and 900 are recoil operated autos.

sharps guns LTD in ontario canada purchased all of the remaining inventories during these changes and has the parts. ron sharp specializes in these ithaca/skb guns. phone 1-905-774-6368. he also buys whole or parts guns.

· Registered
40 Posts
Ithaca never made the 300 or the 900...they marketed (sold them) under an agreement with SKB. you can try the phone number shown in the previous post for ron sharp's gun service for your parts. other than that, there is a web site for SKB (the new SKB) ...google search with find it.

· Registered
1 Posts
after reading the replies to the topic ithica skb, I wanted to post that I own an skb recoil operated called a feather lite. with very fansy engraving on the reseaver.. is this a model 300? or 900 I've read about?
Its been a great gun for me. I got it free when I adopted a great Britney spanial. Ive never had a jam, that is if I didnt forget to turn over the ring in the forearm...is the prof tested steel barrel safe for the use of hevey shot or tunstun? thanks for the info.........regards Steve

· Registered
1,614 Posts
I have two friends that hunt with skb autos and they love them( except for the fact that they only chamber 2 3/4 shells). But they always seem to function flawlessly. ONe shoots a 20 (which also has the duck and pheasant engravings on both sides) and the other shoots an unengraved 12.

Shot the 12 at clays and in the field (ducks and dove) and it seemed like a great shooter to me.

· Registered
1,614 Posts
oh yeah, from what i've heard skb was a japanese company that used to build some higher quality shotguns for ithica. Everything i have ever read about the auto shotguns has been positive stuff. SO i guesss it seems like you managed to get your hands on a perty good scattergun. Beest of luck with your new toy.

· Registered
5 Posts
Maybe its a dumb question but I was told by the person who I got this gun from that they used it with 3in slugs for deer hunting. It has the original barrel on it I have called SKB and Ithaca with little help. The guy from SKB said it would have ruined the barrel if a slug was shot out of it. I want to use this gun for deer hunting is it possible? I am kind of new at this I borrowed a gun last year and got my first deer. I am also going goose hunting this season would this make a good gun. I also have a Marlin goose gun and also 2 mossbergs a 495b and a 395kb what are those guns primary purposes. Thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
At a gun show last year i bought a SKB semi-auto with engraving on ech side- on side ducks and on pheasant..

Looked really nice and have worked unbelievable for me- no jamming or anything.

I was wodnering if anyone has ever heard of this type, because i have never heard anything about it.

Good things about it, or bad let me hear them

Thanks
I bought one brand new in 1970 something brand new for $168. It had a 28 inch modified choke barrel. Best shotgun I ever owned. Regret selling it to this day. Sold it to a gun store in Dawson Creek for $350. Mine had the engraving and ventilated rib barrel. It was a gas operated action that never failed. Also the barrel was chromed on the inside and gave flawless shot patterns. I always thought I was a terrible shot until I bought that gun. First time I shot it I was on a trap range for the first time ever. I shot 23 out of 25 and it was getting dark. It was as good as my Beretta AL391 Urika 2 Gold. I would buy that Ithaca back in a heartbeat!

· Registered
1,004 Posts
I carried a 28 gauge SKB Model 500 O/U in the 'Grouse Woods here in SC Indiana back in the '80's and early '90's. (Back when the state had a huntable population of 'Ruffies.) I still have that one... 28" barrels chambered MOD/FULL. It sits in the gun safe with an Ithaca/SKB Model 280 English S/S. 25" barrels choked IMP/CYL. It's quality is as good or better than most S/S shotguns in that price range. Their line of O/U shotguns included upscale Model 600 and 700 series. Each more heavily engraved and with more highly figured Walnut furniture. Beautiful shotguns that punched above their pay-grade for sure.
While I have no experience with SKB autoloaders, I can tell you that SKB-mfg double guns were well crafted, solid and reliable shooters that are at the same level as Beretta and Browning offerings of the time. Miroku makes the Citori and (made) the BSS double guns for Browning around that same time-period. I think the Browning BSS in 12 and 20ga fetches a handsome price these days and it should.
SKB double guns were an incredible value at the time. When Browning switched A5 and O/U production from Belgium to Japan (Miroku) purists stuck their noses into the air in disgust. Fact is, the Japanese made a great product. I give high accolades for quality to both SKB and Miroku. At the time, the fact it was a "Jap-made" shotgun was an act of heresy to the pure-blood FN (Belgium) Browning supporters.
Good luck with your SKB auto-loader. I can't say I've ever seen one.
--Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.