Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to start feild goose hunting this season but i dont know of any spreads.last year i went goose hunting once and i basically just threw 2 dozen silouets in a grain feild. we had about 80 geese fly over in about 6 different groups but i couldnt get one goose to commit. if anyone knows of any good goose layouts it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I suggest watching the geese on the ground feeding and replicating what you see. Are they in family groups? or all spread out evenly?
The most important thing is to be on the "X". Meaning where the birds want to be. Second is conceilement, third is decoys and lastly is calling IMHO.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
How good are the decoys? Outlaw silos shine like mirrors if not placed right. My limited experience with homeade canada silos is that unless you are an artist, they help you draw but have little finishing power. Might invest in some bigfoot or higdon fullbodies.

Like h20 said mimic what you see the geese doing.

Being concealed well is also important. Maybe they see you move or can see you when you get close.

Just my .02

KS_WATERFOWLER

G

·
i heard that a cresant moon shape too but should i point every individual decoy going straight into the wind or should i turn them in all different directions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had good luck setting out the deeks in two groups,with a pocket left in the middle. The size of the pocket has to get bigger as the year goes on and the flocks get bigger. eg

. ......... ...........
................. ...................
................... ...................
............. ...............
............. ..............

·
Registered
230 Posts
We tend to set up in either a J, U, or W shape. When we use the J we also put another group of 4-5 up towards the top to sort of dot the J. Seems to work pretty good. Have some geese facing right into the wind but give it some variance. Don't put them facing away from the wind though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
if you can pick up about 100 or 200 hundred bigfoots you wont have this problem agian but if you don't think you can pull that off try getting some shells so the spred dosen't disapre when the geese fly over... and also some fullbodys on the sides of the spred really helps

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have been late season goose hunting this week in MN. We were having good luck earlier in the week with an X pattern, it did not work the last couple of days so we changed it a couple of times with no luck, the spread that worked last night was just two groups with about 12-20 geese in each group about 65 yards apart then we took the rest of the dekes about 70 of them and clustered them really tight to our blinds. Use your full bodies it you have them for your outside groups.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I FOUND THE BEST spread was to spell out FOOD with the good decoys! im just messin usally i like to use family groups in the early with a few landin holes then late season i use a j shape and a u shape!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I HAVE HAD LUCK WITH A SET UP LIKE THIS XXXBLOODJUNKIEXXX

( BLIND) AND TRY THROWIN SOME CORN
ON THE GROUND IT HELPS

0 0 0 O O OO O O O <--- WIND

0 0 0 0 O O
O 0 0 0
0 0 POCKET 1 0 POCKET 2
0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0
O O O O O O O O 0 0

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.