Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
aqua keel are basically just hollow and the water fills into them to keep them down. Weighted are filled with sand and then kapped.

Aqua keel are lighter, but when you throw them out half of them are upside down, and it seems to me the ones you throw deeper than you can wade all land upside down.

Weighted keel are heavier but are self rightening. They always land keel down. If you have to walk a long ways weighted keel get pretty heavy.

I personally like weighted keel, they are faster setting out and just seem like a better quality decoy IMO.

Mike

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Oh yeah, you can take aqua keel decoys and just put weight in them, or pour sand in them and cap them.

When I was younger and had no money I used to buy aqua keel because they were cheaper, then I would just put weights in the keel to make them turn over.

Mike

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Mark, it depends on the decoy, I had cheap carrylites that just had little holes, I actually filled them with sand, and hot glued them. If they leak a tad of water its no big deal. If they are the new flammys that are just a pip you would have to probably find another way. silicone or hotglue will usually do the trick though..

mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
If hunting deep water use weighted keel. if your going hunt pot hole and have to carry decks use water keel. i have use both for year depends on situation. the hot glue gun is the best way to go if capping of keels you don't have to wait very long for it to dry and is not messy. hot glue is a great way to patch shot hole in deck also just drain the decoy and cover hole with glue. " take a kid hunting you'll never regret it" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Another thing about water keels is that they aren't very good in the wind. I figured this out a few weeks ago. If a strong gust of wind comes along and catches the decoy just right it will flip it over out of the water. This happened about 3 or 4 times. So for the windy, rough waters stick with weighted keel. And for small protected waters, use water keel because they won't weigh you down as much if you have to walk in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that weighted keels are better all around decoys. If you already own some water keel, then do like everyone else (including me) and fill them or do like I did and drill small holes in the keel and attach heavy lead fishing weights. Hey, it sounds pretty ******* but it works like a charm.

I also put some BIG snap swivels so I can take the weights off if I need to.

Hope that helps any.

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
81 Posts
I only use weighted keels whether I have to fill the water keels with weights or use the weighted ones I have....I don't care about the added weight....water keels aren't worth the hassle to me.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I turned all my decoys into water keels. Makes them much much lighter when you have the mile and a half walk in. Wighted keels are useful, and if I hunted out of a boat and weight wasn't an issue then I would have them. FOr me I would rather take it easy on the walk in and just walk around in the 10 yard circle the decoys are in to flip a few back over. Never had them roll over like some talk about and we get alot of wind in Kansas. Everyone has a reason to like every one. Its just kinda up to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It kind of depends on what type of hunting I am doing, If I am using a boat I usually take weighted keels but if i have to hike in to the spot I will only take water keels due to the weight difference. But still packing 6 dozen water keels is alot to pack between 2 people. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.