Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had two mallards that were shot and down inside of a marina. The doggone things kept diving on us. If you are in active pursuit of a duck that was shot and crippled during legal shooting hours, are you allowed to shoot them after hours (until dark at least) if you can get them? We made every effort to get these ducks, but they would swim underwater from us from boat dock to dock and hide underneath them. We chased them back and forth. We are allowed to hunt there (as long as we don't shoot the boat docks) we left upset that two birds could swim but could not fly. We did not want to leave wounded ducks out there, but we ran out of light and the question I just asked. It bothers me. I always hated it when I would wound a rabbit...only to find it went down a hole. Any answers?

· Registered
2,760 Posts
I don't know about the legality of shooting at crips after legal shooting times in your neck of the woods but here shooting after hours is illegal no matter what. I suggest that getting a good retreiver would eliminate the need to chase cripples down and to fire a lot of follow up shots. I know that it happens (crips) but the closer U let them get the less U crip.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing

1,459 Posts
I carry a sling shot and ball bearings with me to help my dog find birds if he gets off track.With a little practice it could also finish off birds that are in areas were shotguns might not be legit,although I don't know if its legal its less likely to get attention and it could prevent the waste of a good bird.

· Registered
452 Posts
hmmm, that could work.

had

· Registered
598 Posts
I think so too. You'd probly have to have a lot of practice to get good with one though. I've got a slingshot that I've had for years and never used that much, But man when you sling something out of it, it comes out with some speed. If yours is like mine, then it should definatley finish off a duck. Or at least knock it out so you can get it.

· Registered
452 Posts
well ive been close enough to shoot a cripple with one. like if he got in the reeds and you could see him or something. some times it would be better than another shot. if i hit him it would do the job.

DISCLAIMER: i do not sky bust and am average with my gun but crippels do happen. :mrgreen:

had

· Registered
17 Posts
Ive been told by a game warden that gave me a ticket for shooting a cripple that it is legal to shot a cripple inorder to retrive it as long as it is during shooting hours. I shot a cripple that we couldnt retrive because we did not have a dog at the time and had to wait till it swam out of deep water to retrive it. I recived a 60 dollar fine for shooting 3 min after shoot time but i thought it was a better thing to shot it then leave it in the field to sufer

· Registered
25 Posts
IF WE COULD SHOOT LEAD WE WOULDN'T BE HAVING THIS CHAT. MORE DUCKS ARE CRIPPLE AND NOT PICKED UP IN A YEAR BECAUSE OF STEEL THAN DUCKS THAT DIE FROM LEAD POISON FROM EATING LEAD IN TEN YEARS. STEEL SHOOT SUCKS!!!

· Registered
25 Posts
I DIDN'T NO IT WAS ABOUT THE EAGLES, BUT STILL STEEL SHOT STINKS. I WOULD TAKE A 20GA WITH LEAD OVER A 12GA 3-1/2 WITH STEEL ANY DAY BECUASE IT WOULD KILL MORE DUCKS HANDS DOWN

· Registered
3,108 Posts
Yup get over it.

yes the steel from 10 years ago sucked, especially from 25 years ago. :thumbsdown: But the new generation of steel is as effective to 40 yards as any laed shot is. :thumbsup:

1,459 Posts
Steel shot is a fact and it is a permanent one,no sense longing for something that isn't coming back.h20fwlr said it right,the steel of today is far superior to the first steel shot and just as good as lead within respectable shooting range(40 yds).

· Registered
2,217 Posts
I asked a game warden this exact question and he told me it was most definitely illegal! He the also told me to give him a call if I was ever in that situation again and most likely he would give permission to shoot it. Had to do with him knowing what was going on in case he got a call about after hours shooting in the area.

· Banned
216 Posts
Dogman said:
I carry a sling shot and ball bearings with me to help my dog find birds if he gets off track.With a little practice it could also finish off birds that are in areas were shotguns might not be legit,although I don't know if its legal its less likely to get attention and it could prevent the waste of a good bird.
not sure where you are from but in my state, a sling shot is not an approved method of taking migratory game.

· Registered
3,849 Posts
Shooting after hours is not legal, for any reason. Secondly, maybe your marina is different than any marina I ever worked in, but that doesn't seem within the bounds of legality either. Permission or not, unless the marina happens to be outside a village. I personally wouldn't be too excited about keeping my boat in a marina that allows people to shoot guns.
My suggestion. Get a dog, and hunt in undeveloped areas. But that's just me.

· Registered
21,280 Posts
So why wouldn't watching a cripple swimming around, and not shooting it, be considered wanton waste? Seems like you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Go figure- the govt trying to stick it to somebody through assinine, contradictory laws and regulations.

· Registered
17,714 Posts
I think mica needs a Valium

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.