Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a 4 wheeler this summer / fall for hunting and ice fishing. I plan on buying a good used one instead of buying new. For hunting it will be used to pull a flatbed trailer out into the field or up to a slough to set decoys. For ice fishing it will be used to pull a portable sled style icehouse around on ice and snow. What are options on a 4 wheeler do you feel are worth paying for or a necessity. I’m looking for suggestions on options like power steering, heated grips, and others. What size do you think is the smallest you would go, right now I’m thinking nothing smaller that the 500 range. This will be my first 4 wheeler so I have no brand preference or knowledge on differences.
thanks in advance
Cptmorgan

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Where are you located? I’m selling mine. Good solid unit.

Given the ice fishing note you may be too far north, but mine is a Kawasaki Prairie 700 and has no problem pulling big flag bed trailers. A 500 would work, but you would have to be a little more careful about what you haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
43,079 Posts
Where are you located? I’m selling mine. Good solid unit.

Given the ice fishing note you may be too far north, but mine is a Kawasaki Prairie 700 and has no problem pulling big flag bed trailers. A 500 would work, but you would have to be a little more careful about what you haul.

Needs a price Biff! :rolleyes:😂

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I am looking to get a 4 wheeler this summer / fall for hunting and ice fishing. I plan on buying a good used one instead of buying new. For hunting it will be used to pull a flatbed trailer out into the field or up to a slough to set decoys. For ice fishing it will be used to pull a portable sled style icehouse around on ice and snow. What are options on a 4 wheeler do you feel are worth paying for or a necessity. I’m looking for suggestions on options like power steering, heated grips, and others. What size do you think is the smallest you would go, right now I’m thinking nothing smaller that the 500 range. This will be my first 4 wheeler so I have no brand preference or knowledge on differences.
thanks in advance
Cptmorgan
I would advise to go ahead and get new unless you get a smoking deal. This is the kind of machinery that people tear the heck out of and treat them quite roughly. I would just hate to think about how it was ran before you got it.

I have a Polaris Sportsman 450, 2015 year. I really like it and it has been a fun toy for me. I use it mostly for pulling my brush mower and rarely use the 4x4 but it is nice to have for when I need it.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I would advise to go ahead and get new unless you get a smoking deal. This is the kind of machinery that people tear the heck out of and treat them quite roughly. I would just hate to think about how it was ran before you got it.

I have a Polaris Sportsman 450, 2015 year. I really like it and it has been a fun toy for me. I use it mostly for pulling my brush mower and rarely use the 4x4 but it is nice to have for when I need it.

I’d never pay over twice the price for something so easy to fix and keep in great shape. If you know what you are looking at, it’s really easy to determine whether something is in good shape or not.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
thanks in advance
Cptmorgan
I think a 500cc would be great for this application. Make sure it is four-wheel drive. (they are made in 2-wheel drive, too). Power steering is SO nice I would consider it mandatory. Heated grips? ...not so much. Check the tires; new tires have become outrageously expensive. You'll undoubtedly want tire chains for the ice fishing. (or, just screw lots of ice screws into the tire lugs)
Other than that, just look for the clues that tell you it's NOT been neglected.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Not having power steering and wanting to back up a trailer is tough. I have a good machine, a Honda foreman 400. It’s 4 wheel drive, I’ve never been stuck. But backing a trailer into a tight spot takes some work. I will probably never buy another one, I rarely use mine. But if I did, it would have power steering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts